Lumin L2 Music Server and Network Switch

Hi,

I am really interested in the newly announced Lumin L2 but there is 1 deal breaker feature I need it to have and thats for it to run Roon Core.

Is this a feature and if not can it be added?

Thanks
Paul

Also with it having 2 internal disks can these be configured in a raid 1?

I doubt very much that the L2 has been designed for nor will have the capability to run Roon core.
Lumin are always very good at providing the full capabilities & specifications for their devices and as there is no mention of Roon for the Lumin L2 (on the website) I doubt it’s an option.

No doubt @wklie will comment in due course…:thinking:

1 Like

Im confident he will comment also, hes a legend.

Lumin are excellent in terms of support and adding additional features. While Core isnt listed anywhere I think showing interest makes it at least a possibility it will be considered.

Agreed. RoonCore is VERY processor/CPU intensive. And it will only grow in its requirements for processing power (and, thus, heat generation, power use, etc).

I highly doubt it will ever support RoonCore.

Its not even close to being “very” intensive. It may be for a typical Arm cpu but just about any X86 cpu can run it.

If it can run well on a celeron or ryzon embedded then its certainly not intensive.

Incorrect. The hardware design call-out to reliably and continuously run RoonCore with all the clear guarantees of performance that this must entail, is entirely different from that of any endpoint or any narrow-scope, single ecosystem server software.

https://luminmusic.com/lumin-l2.html

"LUMIN SERVER SOFTWARE

Our bespoke server software is specifically designed for the demands of LUMIN owners - featuring rock-solid stability, rich tag support and, of course, high resolution PCM/DSD support."

No.

You have plenty of options for Roon Core, from NUC all the way to EUR28k audiophile servers.

No.

2 Likes

Is it Roon ready?

It is a UPnP server. It does not run Roon Core or Roon RAAT endpoint. It cannot be Roon Ready.

Ok thanks @wklie

Disappointing isnt it? If it ran roon core I would of bought one but Upnp is out of the question for a high end system.

Lumin L1 and L2 are designed to be used with Lumin app, not Roon.

There are plenty of Roon Core choices elsewhere.

2 Likes

@Paul_Whittaker yes it is and Roon ready would have been a plus. I personally would prefer a more high end Roon core. @wklie if used as a switch only and not a server. Would it then function like any other switch?

Fingers crossed a core feature can be added down the road if demand is high enough.

I respect the guys at Lumin so I’m not going to to keep nagging, they know what they are doing.

This really should sum things up, hopefully…:crossed_fingers:t2:

You can have your cake & eat it too, run ethernet (or optical) into the L2 Server and ethernet (or optical) to a Lumin U2 then digital out to Dac. The U2 is Roon Ready.

2 Likes