Lumin Roon Only Mode / Esoteric TEAC RAAT Mode

Thank you Peter. I have those firmware versions! I have done all that the manual says. Every time I get to net, RAAT blinks. Perhaps RAAT never gets installed because the N-01XD is not connected to my network?

1 Like

If you want to use the N-01XD with the native app or any network streaming (instead of other audio inputs), you have to connect it to the network.

1 Like

So if my music files are on my Antipodes K-50 and the Antipodes is set to be Roon Server and Roon Player and is on the network and I am using the network input on the N-01XD and RAAT mode, is the N-01XD doing any processing or just acting as a network Dac? Anything else?
Thank you
Jeff

1 Like

Check the Roon signal path display.

Unless you have set N-01XD built-in upsampling, N-01XD is not doing any audio signal processing (other than MQA decoding for MQA tracks).

1 Like

I’m up to three U2 Minis (U2s Mini?), and after initial setup and audition in and out of ROONONLY mode have been running them all in ROONONLY for the past… at least six months, probably more. I think they’re all on firmware version 15.3.

I haven’t been checking back here with any frequency because everything’s been working reliably and sounding good, but are there any firmware or configuration updates I’ve been missing out on which might actually make things even better? I saw a whole subthread about PMs from @wklie, but don’t know what that’s about.

I see that the device firmware is up to Version 16, but it isn’t clear whether that update is worth pursuing in my situation – firmware updates are a little inconvenient once you’ve adopted the ROONONLY way, what with having to reset the device to get it back to being updatable, so I’m loath to pursue routine updates which might only involve features unrelated to my use case.

1 Like

@wklie , Thanks for the great support, I turned on roononly on my X1. Looking for pm.

1 Like

I have a U2 Mini being delivered tomorrow and plan on using the Roon Only Mode after reading this thread. What are the PM’s from @wklie about? I don’t want to miss out. Ha.

1 Like

What is the correct mechanism to use in order to request this thread be pinned in the forum?

@Collin_Bruce If you need regular access to this topic/thread you can bookmark it or/and change it to tracking for a regular count of new replies. Just tap the … at the right of a topic or post and the sub menu will offer book marking

I doubt if pinning would be appropriate as usually important (to everyone) topics are pinned.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply.

Understood and I have implemented those steps. :+1:

1 Like

Hi Peter,

I’m a new Lumin U2 owner and have used it mostly in ROONONLY mode. Would lik a PM when possible, thanks.

/Kalle

Hi, peter

I am using u2 mini in roononly mode
Can you send me PM please, Thanks

Alex

1 Like

Late to the party, but I too set my new Lumin U2 to #ROONONLY mode. Need to listen more to see if I can tell a difference, but I’ll keep following this thread to see if any changes or updates arise!
Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 8.46.37 AM

3 Likes

@wklie Could you comment on the rational to the change of actual/perceived sound in #ROONONLY mode vs standard configuration? I read this whole page and I don’t think I saw why the change does/may improve the sound out of the Lumin streamers?

I’m really just curious??

Thanks
PB

For those who believe in bits are bits and nothing else matters, this is either a hallucination or expectation bias (but note that I did not state it would sound better).

For those who are not in this camp, note that the CPU processes / threads are reduced, CPU workload is lessened, and unnecessary network traffic such as discovery broadcasts for other services are reduced.

Those who would like to understand more in this area may search in audiophilestyle.com forum for PC audio optimization tips, and check out the various audiophile oriented custom Linux or Windows OS distributions / optimizations.

4 Likes

Understood - appreciate the answer. I find I always hear the difference I want to hear, but thats likely cause I’m not an advanced Audiophile :rofl:

Of course you are free to hear/feel/decide on your own. Every setup is quite different and it’s always a journey. As @wklie pointed out there is more to bits are bits and if you can listen in an already high resolving setup you will experience what hardware/software optimized components can do to further improve sound quality.

1 Like

We are in danger of a semantics discussion here but, @wklie specifically did not suggest that Sound quality would improve…

Blockquote
For those who believe in bits are bits and nothing else matters, this is either a hallucination or expectation bias (but note that I did not state it would sound better).

Just sayin’

1 Like

I’ve the u2 mini.
I’ve no idea what roon only mode is. I just use roon thru my lumin bridge.
Never used the lumin app. I’ve only had the lumin a few weeks tho.
I only use roon so I suppose that means I’m roon only without using roon only mode.
I wouldn’t even know how to use roon only mode.

He is a wise guy and is trying to avoid any unnecessary discussions - the ROON forum is known for that anyway :wink:
He though is stating why LUMIN is doing it, and if there were no difference at all they wouldn’t put much effort into a ROONONLY mode.

@MortimerBrewster62 Just have a look at the description here Lumin Roon Only Mode / Esoteric TEAC RAAT Mode

1 Like