Lumin T2 SQ improvement over current setup?

I think that both my T2 and my ML585 are cooked just about to perfection right now, both were purchased new and have been breaking in very nicely.
And yes I DO strongly believe in component break in, if you do not that is absolutely fine but please don’t waste your time telling me I am imagining things after 45 years of messing with audio gear.

Every evening of late my system just sounds better than the previous evening.

Be interesting to see how far it progresses.

3 Likes

Question for anyone who may know…

Can I have both the RCA and XLR outputs from the T2 connected at the same time?

Note… connected… NOT both in usage.

Explain…

Present have RCA outputs connected to ML585 to play music via speakers.

I would like to connect the XLR to my Topping A90 for headphones.

So it would only ever be one output active and being used at a time.

If listening via speakers the A90 would be turned off and if listening via headphones the ML585 would be turned off.

Thoughts?

1 Like

You can do that for Lumin T2 / D2 / D1 as long as it does not create a ground loop.

(Simultaneous XLR RCA analog connection is not recommended for Lumin X1 / S1 / A1 / T1.)

3 Likes

Thank you Peter.
Will try it out tomorrow, too late here tonight to be messing around…:innocent:

1 Like

I’m pumping the midnight oil myself. Just picked up a Primaluna 400 integrated. It only has rca inputs, so I was going to ask the exact question. Xlr to my Jc5 and Rca to the 400.

If I encounter anything unusual, I’ll post it here

1 Like

Lumin T2 to Primare A30.2+Pre32 combo.
Not regret it.
It does take 200-400 hours to give it all.
Also used fiber media converters couple with stabilized psu at the last one (mean well 20€).
Every step gives payback.
So I understand that T2 is probably as good as the rest setup permits :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thought I would ask this question on my own original thread.

Going to trial Tidal again as have an offer from them that is excellent.

So my question is this…

What are recommended MQA settings for both Roon and my Lumin T2 to get the best results from MQA files.

@Rockhound
@wklie

Thank you!

I generally recommend setting MQA Capabilities to Renderer Only such that processing is reduced on the Lumin.

However, if you hear no difference between Decoder and Renderer, and Renderer Only, then setting it to Decoder and Renderer will help Roon Labs save a tiny little cost on Roon MQA Core decoder usage.

2 Likes

You mean try renderer only in the T2?
And set Roon to decoder only.
To try first.

Yes please give it a try.

1 Like

I have tried both, and landed on the T2 doing both steps of the process - I don’t think there’s much difference in SQ, but to be honest I didn’t do extensive A/B testing.

1 Like

I am a new T2 owner coming from a Node2i. I have the same setup as @Rockhound and many others in this forum. With good XLR cables SQ is improved largely for soundstage, more resolving and better dynamique in both end of the spectrum. The H390´s dac is no sluch but there is a difference for sure. Gapless, very good app, nice design make Lumin a serious contender streamer under 10k. I am now experiencing up-sampling with different settings either on Lumin app or Roon app. Both seem workings well with small difference if any. One can use only the Lumin app for managing and browsing. So Roon is nice to have but not necessary, unless you want more or it like multi room or other advanced options.

Thanks @Rockhound for your advised and this forum community

3 Likes

Great to hear Mario - and congrats on being a T2 owner! I agree the Lumin app is pretty good, but I love the whole Roon experience so never really use it except for updating firmware. The T2 is capable of throwing amazing 3D soundstages with the right material, like you’re listening 5.1. Prepare to be listening to a LOT of music!

2 Likes