Lumin u1 mini keeps stopping playback after a few cuts

I purchased a lumin u1 mini and it keeps stopping playback after 1 to several cuts. A notification pops up on roon that says “playback has stopped because audio output has been switched”
I went back to my old stream box ultra and I have no problems.
Any suggestions?

Please describe how Lumin and the Roon Core are connected to the network, and whether any WiFi is involved from internet to Roon Core to Lumin.

What is the model of your DAC?

Please factory reset the Lumin U1 Mini in Lumin app About U1 Mini.

How are you connected the Lumin to your DAC? If you were using USB, disconnect USB and try coax instead.

Moved thread.

Thank you for the post Peter.
My roon core is an HP i5 laptop wired to an English Electric 8switch. The Lumin is also connected to the 8 switch, and then usb from the Lumin to a Denafrips Terminator DAC. There is no wifi in the streaming chain.
When I reinstalled my Project stream box ultra everything works perfectly.
I will try the factory reset and coax cable tonight.
The Lumin u1 mini sounds superb, I’m hoping I can get it running perfectly.

Hi Peter,
Thank you for your help. I purchased a DHlabs 75ohm coax cable. The Lumin u1 mini now works flawlessly. I now know the problem is with my shunyata alpha USB cable. Overall the USB cable is preferable, but it’s a big leap in price. The coax has a larger image which makes me think the coax may be a superior connection.
What output would you recommend for the Lumin, USB, Coax, or AES/EBU.
Once again thank you for your assistance.

2 Likes

Does the Shunyata even meet USB 2.0 specifications? I can’t find any reference to it doing so on the Shunyata site, nor any of their retailers. I would be interested to see whether you would get a stable connection with something like USB 2.0 cable that is thrown into the box with printers or monitors.

Good question. I didn’t even think of that. But the shunyata usb was working well for a while, but I swapped out streamers more than a few times in listening tests and I had to give the shunyata a hard twist to get it in the right position to get it into the USB out on the Lumin. I’m thinking it must be damaged.

You may want to try Ghent Audio’s JSSG360 usb 2.0 cable.

I’ve found it punches up quite a bit.

Depending on the DAC, one will need to A/B compare USB vs AES (with USB cable disconnected).

In at least one report, one user originally preferred AES, but later changed the USB cable and then preferred USB.

1 Like