Lumin u1 mini transport, considerations and recs

Please try fiber isolation and see if you think it is better or worse.

1 Like

I recently stopped upsampling via my Lumin U1 Mini and moved upsampling duties to Roon (upsampled to DSD128).

I am surprised to hear a bump in SQ compared to upsampling to 384 on the U1 Mini. Why would I notice an improvement in moving upsampling duties from the U1 Mini to Roon?

I noticed Roon’s upsampling UI has changed since I last used it in 2021. It looks great and is very easy to use. I’m not sure if the algorithm changed as well or if the bump in SQ is from freeing up the U1 Mini resources to do what it does best - stream.

1 Like

I have always recommended disabling Lumin internal re-sampling when using Roon.

2 Likes

Hi @wklie Peter! Titles of compositions and artists in Hebrew are not displayed, are you planning to do this?

I’m afraid the font we have is always going to be limited.

@wklie how much current does the U1 Mini draw (on average) if all features except Roon are turned off?

I understand it is rated at 2.1A max but I’m interested in its real world current draw with all features off except Roon, as mentioned above.I would think it should be close to 1A but that’s just a wild guess.

Average should be less than 20W, but treat this as an unofficial figure.

At 110V or 220V it’s far less than 1A.

If you’re talking about LPS 12V (which would void warranty), you need no less than 2.5A even if they don’t drop voltage - but they always do.

1 Like

Thanks. Yes LPS. I understand warranty is voided.

I’ve been testing with a 12V1.2A LPS which is sounding great. I have a 12V2.5A LPS as well which also sounds great.

My question, if I may ask: Why does the U1 Mini work and sound so good with the 1.2A LPS? It’s a Geek Pulse LPS4. The friend I bought it from was using it with a D1 with good success as well (and the D1 needs a bit more current than the U1 Mini).

Peter I understand your replies in no way condone or approve of such usage. I’m asking for your technical insight.

If he truly had the D1 running stable for a prolonged time with the 1.2A LPS, then I’d speculate the LPS rating to be conservative. If I got its price right, it was actually more expensive than many other audiophile LPS with even higher current. Just two days ago I had yet another e-mail about a D1 becoming unstable - 90% of the time D1 instability were caused by a fairly popular 3A LPS which failed. In those cases, restoring the factory power supply would make it stable again.

Thanks Peter. He ran the D1 on the LPS4 for 6 months. I can only assume it’s conservatively spec’d at 1.2A. Current results with it on the U1 Mini are rather favourable as well.