Lumin U1 mini transport

Hello @wklie Peter!
How U1mini works with new CD/DAC Luxman D-03X with full MQA decoder? Roon Nucleus + now connects directly via USB via AQ JitterBug, Oyaide Continental 5S cable to Luxman, sounds very good. Is it worth connecting the Nucleus through U1mini to Luxman, will there be an increase in sound quality?

D-03X is a Full MQA Decoder.

Normally you may set Roon MQA device capabilities to Decoder and Renderer, with Lumin set to MQA Passthrough.

Alternatively you may try setting Roon Core to Renderer Only, and see if the D-03X displays OrFS or MQB or MQA. If it does, your D-03X is capable of Renderer Only setting.

Yes, please connect it via the U1 MINI.

2 Likes

Just purchased a Lumin U1 mini in black.

Using below version on my Bryston BDA-3
Firmware: u2018.05d
Build Date: May 22 2018 17:02:28

Would like to report no problem playing back DSD files natively. Didn’t have to select anything in Roon it just worked.

Refreshing a device thats already up to date when it arrives just connected and within minutes had app installed on iPad. Enabled in Roon settings audio didn’t change anything switched to BDA-3 to USB 2 pressed play. Maybe 10 minutes without organizing space and connections for it.

Only one thing I select renderer and decoder turn off Roon MQA converter the right bitrate is not hitting the dac. Never higher then 96k

It does work fine for Tidal app so guessing its a Roon thing.

Great product very happy monoprice AES/ ABU cable on way.
No idea who a good company is in that space.?

Suggestions?

You know its good when wife says oh cool its like its coming from behind me.

3 Likes

Roon MQA Core decoder should always be enabled.

Since you use a Bryston DAC, please set MQA Capabilities to No MQA Support.

In Lumin app, MQA mode should be left as Digital Output.

With MQA digital output from a certified MQA device, it maxes out at 96kHz or 88.2kHz from MQA Core decoding (from Roon or Lumin). You’ll have to have a MQA DAC or Lumin analog output product to have MQA rendering to a higher rate.

You could, optionally, choose to have Roon DSP Engine to further upsample the MQA Core decoded signal if you like.

For the AES cable, please use one no shorter than 1.5m.

When you listen to AES, please disconnect the USB first.

1 Like

On the fence about buying a Lumin U1 mini. I currently use a Allo USBbridge, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Gen 5 USB, Primaluna Evo 200 integrated, Klipsch Forte 3 speakers. Would I get a bump in SQ with the Lumin?

1 Like

Please consider Lumin T2 with analog output. This way you’ll be able to play DSD up to DSD512 without conversion.

Thanks for replying. DSD is not really a requirement for me. Anyway, I am looking only for streaming functionality, since I am eyeing a Denafrips Pontus for DAC purposes…

1 Like

@Alexandru_Capsa can tell you going from a Allo Digione sig to U1 Mini was a step up. Cleaner more detailed enveloping soundstage.
The wife came down to listen and she asked “WOW are the rear speakers on…” no it’s stereo dear “cool”
She also heard improvement from PC to Allo Digione sig…when I had a USBridge it would pop and click for DSD music so sold it off quickly no real reference.

4 Likes

Hi Peter! When is the network transport lineup expected to be updated or new models expected this year? Or don’t wait and buy the current line.

I’m afraid I cannot talk about future product plans.

1 Like

Hi everyone!
I recently purchased a Lumin U1 mini connected via USB to a new Aqua La Voce DAC. I have Roon Core running on an iMac used mostly for streaming Tidal and QBUZ and the Lumin U1 Mini is already Roon Enabled. I have read this thread and though i learned so much, it seems like the more i read the more i get confused about the MQA settings on Roon and Lumin. My understanding the Aqua LaVoce is not MQA capable so I am assuming I will let Roon do the processing. So please let me know what settings I should have in Roon and the Lumin respectively to have MQA reasonably handled.
Thanking you in advance for your insights and please forgive the newbie questions.

1 Like

In Roon, please keep MQA Core decoder enabled (by default), and set MQA Capabilities for Lumin to Renderer Only.

In Lumin app, you may leave the MQA Mode to Digital output (by default).

2 Likes

Thanks Peter!

Peter it would seem there are no separate settings for the U1 Mini at least with my BDA-3 so I believe I i have chosen correctly?

Thanks
Stay safe

That looks good. Have you tried Roon upsampling to DSD256 (and enable Parallelize Sigma Delta Modulator)?

This works only over USB connection between the Lumin and the BDA-3 though.

1 Like

Has anyone compared the SQ between Sonore Ultrarendu and U1mini? Where is the best sound?

Will do on weekend not much time for listening on weekdays.
Just waiting for my AES/ABU cable to arrive, I’ll compare it to USB then try that.
Is it suggested that you just use one output at a time out of U1 Mini? My DAC does support multiple connections.

When using USB, don’t use the others.
When not using USB, you can use all of the others at the same time.

1 Like

@Luna is correct.

@Jerry_B you must disconnect USB before using AES.

No contest…Lumin is superior to the Ultrarendu in sound quality, build quality and software.

6 Likes