Lumin U1 mini transport

Yes, I have tried AC vs. battery many times and I have never heard any difference, neither in my previous “analog” system feeding a Benchmark DAC2 with USB from the Macbook Pro, nor in my new D&D 8C based system. It seems that both the Benchmark DAC2 and the U1 Mini are well-engineered products that makes them insensitive to computer generated noise.

I don’t think I can get the U1 Mini further away from the MacBook Pro than it is today, since it is not connected to the U1 Mini in any other way than through our network.

1 Like

@Ake_G
How do you stream Tidal to the U1 mini without Roon? I thought Tidal connect wasn’t supported yet. Or are you using Lumin streaming (Airplay)?

Lumin has built in Tidal streaming, it is set up and controlled through Lumin’s own App, i.e. not Tidal connect where you can control streaming through the native Tidal App.

1 Like

Seems like I have to change my mind regarding the SQ of 1.8. Since my last post I have listen a lot through Roon and I guess it takes time to get used to a change in sound. At first I felt that 1.8 sounded thin and too staccato, but the more I listen the more I appreciate an increase in transparency, micro detail and bass resolution as well as dynamics. The take away; never hurry to make judgments…

5 Likes

is it Ok to leave the front panel display ,of Lumin U1 Mini, on all the time (i.e.while not listening to music ) or better to turn the display off to prevent damage to the screen? Thanks

In Roon, please use the Auto Sleep setting.

If not a Roon user, please set the Idle Sleep setting in Lumin app.

1 Like

thanks so much Peter

My Lumin arrived. I connected it to the DAC via USB, a big increase in sound quality, compared to a direct connection with Nucleus, put it on warm-up. :fire: :+1:

15 Likes

13 Likes

Excellent gear!

1 Like

Beautiful would not mind pairing these Luxman with my Quad ESL2905……well I can only dream……

1 Like

Love my Lumin U1 Mini! :sunglasses: It was quite a jump in price from the Allo DigiOne but I really fancied some proper hifi in the rack! The USB output into my Denafrips Ares II DAC is absolutely sublime, so detailed and full of subtle nuances. Now awaiting a Pontus II because the bug has well and truly bitten after years in the all inclusive digital active speakers wilderness! :blush:

7 Likes

I agree. Lumins are definitely proper hifi. I have a t2 in main system, and when ever I take it out to try something else, my system feels a bit incomplete

5 Likes

I like the U1 mini and its form factor, a T2 is substantial higher in price, have you compared and could advice differences?

Or vs other similar dac streamers? Genuinely interested as I intend to buy a power amp and a dac/streamer/pre-amp unless I go for the NAD M33 which attractive despite its short commings…which has an WAF……less cables and boxes….her high end determination of high end……:man_facepalming:t3:

I cannot speak highly enough of the T2 - it really is an excellent product. Yes, it is expensive, but if you want to split the streamer from the DAC, you will have to spend a lot to get a better DAC than what is in the T2. In my view it is worth every cent of the not unsubstantial price tag.

3 Likes

On my shortlist, guess it will all depends on the rest of my system but as of now Roon Rock-usb to Chord Hugo 2 to a Vincent SV233(upgrade imminent) to Quad ESL2905…

So looking at NAD M33 or separates with potential Benchamark AHB2 and separate dac/streamer….down the line, well you can imagine what my wife will suggest….however best sound will prevail….

The price difference comes from the internal DAC (based on dual ES9028PRO) in the T2 for analog output, whereas the U1 MINI has digital outputs only. With digital output they should perform similarly, with U1 MINI offering more types of digital outputs including AES and toslink, and T2 adding support for DSD512 for Linux native DSD512 compatible DAC.

4 Likes

@wklie great job building such robust and stable software in Lumin. Switching from Roon to AirPlay to Spotify Connect, etc. is flawless. Very impressive :raised_hands:

6 Likes

I’m wondering if this is just the product for me. I have a newly purchased Parasound P6 pre-amp with built in DAC. I also have a Chord Hugo TT2 DAC/amp primarily for headphones but which I might feed into my Oarasound and bypass the Parasound DAC, if I end up preferring it.

I could feed the Lumin U1 Mini in case I prefer the Chord DAC to the Parasound DAC (all items are waiting for me when I get home from travel - not been set up yet).

If I’m looking for a world where I can add Spotify and Apple Music to my lineup, wouldn’t the U1 Mini make sense to feed my existing DACs?

Two questions:

1. The Lumin has Airplay, not Airplay 2. I don’t need to worry about multiroom functions, but as Apple unveils hi-res music, might Airplay 2 have functionality developed that Airplay doesn’t have?

2. I assume Lumin users will assure me that the SQ from Lumin to external DAC would easily surpass getting a Bluesound Node to feed to my DACs via digital (bypassing the Node’s DAC)?

Answer to question no. 2 would be Yes, by a landslide.

2 Likes