Lumin U1 mini transport

This would enable playback up to DSD256 if you use USB connection.

Note that Lumin U1 or U1 MINI can output USB to one DAC only. If you need simultaneous connection to 2 / 3 / 4 DACs, you need to use AES / BNC / coaxial / toslink, and the USB needs to be disconnected.

We already support Spotify Connect, and we are working on updating it to fully support Spotify HiFi.

I studied this issue for several days, and have seen zero evidence that AirPlay2 higher than 48kHz being possible, despite claims by others.

1 Like

Peter:

To the extent you can talk about future implementation, are you saying that the U1 Mini will support Spotify HiFi, once youā€™re done updating it, or that youā€™re exploring whether the U1 Mini CAN support Spotify HiFi? This might make a big difference to me. Thanks.

And one other question, Peter, that Iā€™m sure you can answer - if I connect the U1 Mini to a wall-plate Ethernet jack, rather than to the wi-fi router, that should be fine, right? I saw the manualā€™s note about being able to connect to an Ethernet switch, and want to make sure the same principal would apply. Thanks.

We have very good progress for Spotify HiFi implementation for all Lumin models. It will be released at an appropriate time.

Yes.

4 Likes

Any support for Amazon HD?

Please use AirPlay from iPad for Amazon music.

Iā€™m hearing some distortion/artifacts/sputtering while playing Flac 192 khz / 24bit on Qobuz via Lumin app, but I donā€™t have this issue with Minidsp SHD studioā€¦ What could be the issue?

This is connected via AES to my HEDD Type 20 Mk2 (AD/DA 96khz/32bit).

If you are using Lumin AES output, you must physically disconnect the Lumin USB output [to a DAC] before starting playback.

I forgot to mention that Iā€™m only using USB 2 for the lumin IR remote. I hope thatā€™s not the reason why because that be a real deal breaker and a major flaw otherwise!

The USB receiver would not interfere with AES. I meant that USB DAC output needs to be disconnected when using AES / BNC / coaxial / toslink.

In Lumin app, please make sure Custom Re-sampling is OFF, and unneeded services are turned off (AirPlay ā€œLumin Streamingā€, Spotify Connect, Multi-Room, etc.)

Please try the other Lumin outputs - BNC / coaxial / USB (if possible).

And make sure Roon is playing to Lumin as a single zone.

1 Like

I have nothing connected to the USB other than the IR remote receiver, but Iā€™m using the coaxial for my dac.

I attached a pic of my current Lumin app settings.

Iā€™m currently not using Roon, but I did try Audirvana and its also having that distortion issues with 192khz / 24bit.

In Roon, please limit the Lumin to 96kHz, or set DSP Engine to output Hi-Res as 96kHz. This seems to be necessary for your 96kHz speaker.

If you donā€™t use Roon but use Audirvana, please set Audirvana to resample Hi-Res to 96kHz.

If you donā€™t use Roon or Audirvana, you can set Lumin Custom Re-sampling to downsample 192kHz to 96kHz, and 176.4kHz to 88.2kHz.

As for why minidsp has no problem, it is resampling everything to 96kHz internally.

4 Likes

You figured out the issue with my system! I didnā€™t realized there would be so much complications having a digital monitors w/ built in AD/DA.

Thanks for the quick resolution!

4 Likes

My friendā€™s setup: Chord Dave, Chord MScaler and U1mini, Roon on Nucleus +.
Sounds fantastic. :dizzy: :musical_score: :mage:

14 Likes

Hy,
Why limit the lumin to 96Khz using Roon?
I use it with full range in roon (going to USB DAC in my PARASOUNDS amplifier)

He is using a 96kHz studio DSP speaker that cannot handle > 96kHz. This is not applicable to contemporary USB DAC.

1 Like

Wow, they have the same width! Perfect match!

Waiting for a Linear Power Supply from Teddy Pardo. I will raise the level of SQ U1Mini to U1. :dizzy: :musical_score: :+1:

4 Likes

Keep us posted! :blush: Iā€™m using AES out to my Denafrips Pontus II DAC and I couldnā€™t be happier so Iā€™d be fascinated if the Lumin has even more to give! The Denafrips really pulls all the micro details out in USB mode from the Lumin U1 Mini, itā€™s very, very impressive - but boy does something special happen when you change over to AESā€¦ canā€™t explain it, subtle, fluid, organic, real, live?

2 Likes

Iā€™m using BNC out of my Lumin U1 Mini to my Chord Hugo TT2, and the Hugo positively sings from this feed. My guy at Upscale Audio said that the Hugo prefers BNC, and itā€™s a connection thatā€™s worked well for me.

My Lumin is on the opposite side of my room from the Hugo, and (the Hugo lacking an AES input), BNC was a great solution to span this long distance, certainly better than optical.

2 Likes