Lumin U1 mini transport

@vadim thx!

Mine has always done it, well only had it a couple of monthsā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

crossposting from separate topic post one level upā€¦

1 Like

And @dtich @2muchgear

Iā€™m not able to reproduce this problem yet. I did three tests, these are the steps I did, please tell me what different steps I need:

Settings: In Lumin app, set Idle Sleep to some value. In Roon, auto sleep is set to never.

Test i.

1. Start Roon playback to Lumin
  2. Press Pause in Roon
  3. Wait for Lumin front panel to be turned off
  4. Press Play in Roon

Test ii.

2. Use Lumin app to standby
  3. Press Play in Roon

Test iii.

2. Press Pause in Roon
  3. Use Lumin app to standby
  4. Press Play in Roon

I believe that is it, Peter. But, as I noted, I had previously (mistakenly) had auto-sleep set to non-zero value in both Roon and Lumin, soā€¦ that may have contributed to this issue? I have set Lumin to ā€˜Neverā€™ and kept Roon set to one hour, and will see how that works over the next day or so.

Got last week my Okto DAC 8 PRO and using it at the moment with a Zotac Mini PC under Windows.
Now Iā€™ve the idea to buy again a Lumin U1 mini as front-end for this DAC.
Should this work with multichannel DSD native until DSD128?
Iā€™m asking this, because Ropieee and also Rock or a SOtM Neo are not working together with this DAC.

The whole Lumin product line is stereo only, not multichannel. So itā€™s probably not suitable for your requirements.

Assuming this is not a configuration problem, if none of these Linux-based streamers work, then I would not assume Lumin would work.

@wizardofoz knows anything about it?

1 Like

Ok, so Lumin devices arenā€™t able to put out multichannel through USB?

The DAC should work under Linux, but it seems that the current firmware is the problem.

1 Like

Lumin input (network streaming and file) and output are stereo only.

1 Like

The Okto Dac8 Stereo ships with a RPi4 and Volumio, I have one running ropieee on it and it works fine but thatā€™s for 2 channel. It also works fine IIRC on my Nucleus via USB too without the rpi

Canā€™t help on the Dac8 Pro sorry

1 Like

Hi Peter @wklie - I would say that is pretty much what I did, except either the Test i/step 4/Test iii/step 4 and Test ii/Step 3 would have been the following day. So either I would have switched off the Lumin into stand using the app or let it go into standby on timer, but either way I wouldnā€™t have tried to play anything from Roon till the next day. I donā€™t worry now, as Roon has a standby button on the volume menu for the Lumin I use that - maybe it isnā€™t an issue anymore, itā€™s been a long while since Iā€™ve used the app to enter standby mode?

This is because I like to leave the Lumin on all day ready for playing and donā€™t really want a timed standby situation - however, a timed front display off would be great!! You know, a display that comes on when you play something and goes off after a certain amount of idle time - but only the display, no standby of the actual device. But for all I know, thatā€™s perhaps what standby does! :blush:

1 Like

@wklie fyi, to follow up:

iā€™ve had the Lumin app timeout set to ā€˜neverā€™ and Roon device setup timeout set to ā€˜1 hourā€™; the device generally sleeps as expected, but the wake-up issue - press play to zone, unit wakes but does not play; second press of play, unit plays back fine - persists.

thx!

1 Like

Good day

Use my mini with windows and would like to ask is there an app for Mac. Thinking of purchasing an M1 thanks.

I know there are apps for IOS and Droid

1 Like

If you use Roon, Roon (remote) are available on all platforms you mentioned.

If you use the Lumin native app, the iOS app version can run on Mac M1.

2 Likes

Firmware sent to you, @Tim_Woodward and @2muchgear . Please check.

1 Like

I donā€™t seem to be having the issue anyway now Peter thanksā€¦ I let Roon take care of standby situation and all works as expectedā€¦ plays from standby without interventionā€¦ :blush:

1 Like

If I have ā€œEnable MQA core decoderā€ on in Roon (MQA Capabilities default ā€œRenderer onlyā€), in the Lumin APP do I want to have the MQA Mode setting on ā€œpassthroughā€ or ā€œoffā€?

1 Like

Itā€™s recommended to keep it as default MQA Digital output mode. If you really want to reduce the minimal processing for MQA Core, then turn it off.

1 Like

Has anyone compared U1 mini to opticalRendu in terms of SQ?

1 Like

Lumin surpasses all Rendu in sound quality very significantly. Not to mention functionality, reliability and a high level of support. At the moment, Lumin is the best! Donā€™t even think about something else!

8 Likes