Lumin U1 mini transport

Thank you @wklie That’s what I needed. I thought it would be a software update for the U1 but given that it requires H/W changes to support Airplay 2, I’m just going to go with the new Bluesound Node and do external DAC passthrough. Enough people rave about this option that I should just try it and see how it goes. I’ll look out for Lumin updates to their products to support AP2 in the future and see how that goes.

HomePod uses a proprietary Audio Handoff technology. That it will be updated to lossless does not necessarily imply all AirPlay2 receivers will get ALAC from Apple Music. We will need to see what happens then.

A big increase in sound quality has come to Lumin-Teddy Pardo. Now he flies into space, that’s amazing :dizzy: :rocket: :musical_score:

In general, you’ll experience more clarity, tighter bass, more detail, better dynamics, natural voices, better soundstage etc. Unmatched analog warm sound, Lumin is the best :+1: :fire:

5 Likes

Mine sounds just fine the way it is connected via USB (Cinnamon) to my BDA-3. Took at least 400 hours to break in. Maybe its the resolution of my system I mean I only use a Bryston 3b sst2 with Paradigm Studio 100v3, SVS PB-12plus and Paradigm PS-1200v3.
Electronics take time to break in.
I’ll never know replacing with a Pre-amp, DAC and streamer device…BR-20. Then Bryston announces it won’t do what you want (home theater bypass) and now stuck without preamp or DAC. At least I have my u1 mini…
My plan was to not upgrade PS until warranty had expired. It’s now just going to stay the way it is.

This is a direct quote from the Teddy Pardo website. Blatant advertising or what do you actually think of the sound difference?

See “Dastereo” review of the Lumin Upgrade Kit( link to my review, use auto-translation):

“There is a naturalness in the way music is played that seems to be the opposite of “digital” playback” (LINK)

Lumin gear sounds great out of the box.

Take that money you’re going to waste on an LPS or other “tweaks” and buy some music to run through it. I’m pretty sure you’ll get more out of the music investment than you will fussing around with the technology.

4 Likes

Good Day

Could you tell me if the Benchmark Dac3 B would play DSD native or DOP with the U1 mini?

Thinking of it with the LA 4 pre amp

Thanks

The DAC3B only supports DSD64. It’s transmitted in DoP. There is no need for native DSD.

1 Like

hello, can you tell me please what are the feet/spacers (with the red bands) that you are using between the U1 mini and DAVE?

re: photo posted Jun 5

thx!

Question (Peter, et al @wklie): when start playback to the U1 mini when it has been sleeping the behavior i consistently see is - Roon wakes up the sleeping U1 mini but does not start playback, I must consistently re-press play to start actual playback.

Can this be fixed?

Basic system flow: Roon core on Macmini → LAN → U1 mini → USB → DAC/Chord DAVE → Preamp/Classe SSP → Amp/Krell FPB400cx → Speakers/Dynaudio Contour 60.

Thx!

How did you make the U1 mini sleep? Manually turn it to standby in Roon? Using the Roon Auto Sleep setting? What is your setting of Idle Sleep in Lumin app?

i think i have both roon and lumin set to autosleep at 1hr. should i turn lumin auto sleep off and let roon control? will that help this issue?

thx

I think it’s best to use either setting but not both.

Please try them individually and see which setting causes the problem you observe.

yup ok.

thx

Yes I’ve found that turning the U1 Mini into standby from within Roon when I’ve finished listening for the day using the power switch on the speaker icon menu (I know, obtuse, it ought to be on the Lumin device icon - but we’ve been saying that for years and Roon haven’t noticed!) works and next time you send a track it wakes perfectly and plays immediately. As it does if you let Roon turn it off via the auto sleep timer options. But if you use the Lumin app to set to standby, either manually or using the timer, Roon has an issue starting the track after turning the unit on.

1 Like

ah, great info, thx. that would be my assumption too.

I’ll investigate this.

2 Likes

I also use the Lumin app auto sleep setting and have the same problem: need to press play twice on Roon remote for the Lumin U1 mini to wake up and play. This is recent behavior, I am almost positive started after the 14.0 firmware upgrade to get Tidal connect.

1 Like

IsoAcoustics ISO-Puck mini

2 Likes