Lumin U1 mini transport

Sorry to blame the LUMIN it was the dang Roon software. I needed to reinstall the database. Somewhat ridiculous that it took a week to sus out but clearly not the fault of LUMIN. I do think I hear the LUMIN software sounding better than Roon. A bummer but I’ll need more time to compare.

1 Like

Also think I ‘feel’ as though music in my system is sounding slightly better direct from the Lumin app than via Roon for some reason (?)

1 Like

Hi Peter, I recently bought the RME Adi-2 Dac FS; does it support the native DSD256 in the U1 mini? Thanks

U1 (MINI) supports DSD256 DoP output to RME.

1 Like

Can you use the U1 and/or U1 mini with multiple outputs physically connected (say AES and coax) provided only one of the DACs connected is actually turned on (thinking one to primary DAC for speakers) and the second toma headphone amp w/ built in DAC?

If a USB DAC is connected, all the other outputs do not have correct timings.

If and only if no USB DAC is connected, then four other DAC using AES / BNC / RCA / toslink can be active simultaneously.

1 Like

@wklie

Peter are you able to share the status of Lumin’s beta firmware with RAAT 1.1.38?

Would like to beta test if you still need any help on that front.

Thank you,

Philippe

Latest Lumin Firmware 13 adopted RAAT 1.1.37 instead of the 1.1.38 that was tested in the beta.

1 Like

@wklie

Thanks and understood. Firmware 13 is fantastic from my standpoint (Leedh Processing). Can’t wait to see what you are concocting for 14.

Now need to decide if I need to upgrade from my U1 Mini to a U1…

1 Like

Oh now you’re putting ideas in my head also.

I’m thinking about an upgrade from a SOtM sMS-200 neo to the Lumin U1 mini. So the questions:

• it’s really an upgrade?
  • the used DAC is a Primare PRE35 Prisma (or a Pioneer N70-AE)
    Are this DACs supported in DSD? Pioneer works only with native DSD and I wasn’t able to send DSD from Linux to it (only Windows with JRiver and ASIO seems to work), but Primare (Bus 003 Device 002: ID 24a4:0002) works with DoP and DSD native.

If it supports DoP DSD256, then it’ll work.

Even if it does not, I can make a beta firmware for you to try native DSD256.

1 Like

Will a Luxman DA-06 and Schiit Bifrost 2 work with the Lumin U1 Mini?

I believe Luxman DA-06 will work with U1 MINI because a dealer told us D-08u (which uses the same USB hardware) works, and our firmware has specific code that identifies and caters to Luxman.

As the the Schitt Bifrost 2, since it uses a proprietary USB design and I have not received user confirmation of whether it is compatible or not, I don’t know.

1 Like

Thanks Peter, the Luxman would be the main reason I 'd buy the U1 Mini.

But what puzzles me a bit is that I read from your postings and those of various users/reviewers that the AES output sounds better than the USB output.

I figure most of us would buy it to serve as a bridge between network and USB.
Also the USB output gives us higher resolutions as well as DSD, most dacs don’t even accept DSD over AES.

Is it really such a big difference?

A number of customers chose our product due to AES. While most streamers have USB output, the models having AES output is far fewer. You are correct that some DAC do not accept DSD over AES or SPDIF, but some do. There are also users who do not care about DSD, or use a DAC that is more suitable for PCM.

As for USB vs AES for SQ, this is setup dependent. Please listen to them both and tell me what you think.

2 Likes

Will do that, thanks!

About ready to order. Checking prices and availability, I see prices in Europe are a lot higher than in the UK, makes a big difference for the U1 (6800€ vs 5300€).

I wonder how much more a U1 would give me over a U1 Mini?

U1 comes with an external LPS, a heavy aluminium chassis and supports DSD512 (not for your current DAC). U1 MINI uses an internal SMPS and supports up to DSD256 (not for your current DAC) only. U1 MINI offers a great cost-performance.

1 Like

Just contacted my dealer/friend where I have bought my audio gear for 25 years to ask if he could get Lumin. Turns out he just started with Lumin 2 weeks ago.

I immediately ordered the Lumin U1 Mini, will probably have it by the end of the week. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Congratulations on your Lumin purchase @StringsForEver - I’m sure you will enjoy it! They make a great product - my T2 is absolutely outstanding.

2 Likes