LUMIN U2 Intermittent Skipping/dropouts/static

@wklie I’ve been having some skipping/dropout issues while playing music with my LUMIN U2. Sometimes it has a static and pop sound as it skips and it’s very intermittent. I also notice the U2 disappears from the network sometimes. I have to turn the power off and on. I have one Fios router with a good wired connection. I don’t have these issues with the U1 mini.

Any troubleshooting tips?

Thanks

1. If you are using USB connection to DAC, disconnect it, power cycle the DAC and try coax instead. See if it makes any different.

2. If 1 still fails, please put a few 44.1kHz files to a USB thumb drive. Plug it into Lumin. In Lumin app, clear the playlist. Choose the Lumin USB Music Server to be the library. Add those files to the current playlist and let it repeat play for 24 hours to coax. This is a basic hardware test, independent from Roon and not completely dependent on the network stability.

I am using AES/EBU cable. Do I need to go to step two?

Yes please do.

Ok…. Will do. What test results should I be expecting to determine if the LUMIN is the culprit?

I had to reformat my USB thumb drive to exFAT because I use it exclusively with Apple computers and I don’t own an IBM computer. All of my music files are AIFF except for a few DSD files, so the LUMIN did recognize the thumb drive, but it would not play the music from the thumb drive, probably because Apple audio formats may not be compatible with exFAT?

Can you advise what I need to do now?

1 Like

Both AIFF and exFAT are supported, but let’s focus on the hardware verification.

Try formatting as FAT (also known as FAT32) instead of exFAT.

If you really can’t find a few free FLAC files from the web, let me know. For the purpose of this test, 44.1kHz - 96kHz PCM are better.

If the Lumin USB Music server does not show up in Lumin app library selection, please unplug the USB drive. Power cycle the Lumin. Insert the drive only after you see the progress circle on the front panel.

1 Like

Yesterday, I sent the unit back to the dealer I bought it from for repair or replacement. I’ll have an update once the dealer has a chance to assess it and discuss with Lumin.

Thanks!

1 Like

@wklie I have an update concerning the Lumin U2 issue. My Lumin dealer advised that he did finally hear the strange pops/static and dropouts that I described to him. Lumin advised him to do a factory reset and test again. If that doesn’t work, they would send him a new board to swap out.

To be continued…

Thanks

If this issue occurs to two different setups with two DACs, then it requires repair. Sorry for the trouble.

1 Like