Lumin U2 Mini + McIntosh MA9500. Device Setup!

A bit of a puzzle for me.

The initial setup for Roon correctly identified my Device Setup - that I have the U2 Mini connected to the MA9500 via USB.
It also correctly configured the Max Sample Rate (PCM) upto 768 and I was able to upsample music to DSD 512. However, on occasions when I turn off the U2 Mini from the Lumin App - not Roon. The next time I turn it on, and try to listen via Roon - I find the Device setup for it has changed to a Max Sample Rate of 192, and I’m unable to adjust it to 768 and then upsample to DSD512.

After a few attempts - of turning it off / on - via the Roon App or Lumin App - I can’t remember exactly how. A trial and error set of attempts - eventually Roon would identify it as capable of 768 and the stream would go back to DSD512.

Would anyone know why is it reverted to 192 or whether there is a quick and easy way for it - to just stick 768.

• I’ve just placed a post-it note to remind myself not to use the Lumin App, and stick to Roon.

Thanks,

I have just tried setting resampling in Roon & power down via Roon (U2 Mini), Roon remembered the sample rate (768) 3 times without issue.

Are you intending to use the U2 or Roon (or both) for resampling? In my case resampling in the Lumin app is disabled & my Dac does the work.

The Mac USB input is a maximum of 384kHz (pcm) & 192kHz for optical & coaxial inputs so there may be some auto-switching taking place.

1 Like

Don’t.

Your scenario is that the USB DAC takes a much longer time than Lumin to wake up. So the sample rate is wrong.

Instead of turning it off, you may either let it run 7x24, or use the Lumin app Idle Sleep setting if you like.

2 Likes

Turning Off the U2 via Roon, - brings it back perfectly fine. I haven’t any issues. The hiccup was in using the Lumin App to turn off the U2.

All resampling is done in Roon. The U2 is configured to pass through to the MA9500, and that’s managing everything.

Re-USB max (PCM) being 384kHz, - true…- slipped my mind. Its the Lumin that can go up!

1 Like

Sounds good. I’ll leave it running.

I restarted the Roon Core Server and it picked up the Lumin correctly - back to full sample rates.

I leave mine in sleep mode, purely for environmental reasons, and have had no problems with startup.

2 Likes

Both the MA9500 and Lumin went to sleep - standby mode - in the last 15-20mins without me playing any music…they should come back fine :slight_smile:

Agree with you wholeheartedly…- all my electronics when not in use power-off / standby / sleep mode etc…

2 Likes

The maximum PCM sample rate of the USB input on the MA9500 is 384Khz. Subjectively, I think digital components tend to sound better left fully on or in standby - not completely switched off.

1 Like