Lumin X1 Replacement (X2)

Hi,

Im debating purchasing a Lumin X1 and after some research it appears to be nearly 6 years old.

This is a little off putting given it’s cost. I suppose this is a direct question for Peter, is the X1 due to be replaced or upgraded in the next 3 years or so?

Message me directly if you wish :+1:t2:

Thanks

Cannot discuss future plans.

3 Likes

I will take this as a tip :+1:t2:

It’s really a tribute to the original design of the X1 that it hasn’t been updated, other than through firmware changes. The X1 has a lovely organic sound and the best feature set in the Lumin line-up, unless you need the added flexibility of the P1.

Advantages:

— Best dual DAC in the Lumin ecosystem (ESS9038 with 140db dynamic range). Importantly, Lumin knows how to get the best out of a DAC through its programming.

— Leedh Processing for digital volume control, thus no need for a preamp. Recall that uber-high-end Swiss manufacturer Soulution uses Leedh, as it’s fantastic.

— Fiber internet for better noise isolation.

— Dual mono Lundahl transformer output stage for better SQ.

— Separate power supply.

The next iteration of the X1 will probably have an updated processor, which will permit future technologies, perhaps room correction as announced in new Auralic streamers. But other than that possibility, it would be tough to best the X1, despite its age, unless you’re willing to spend tremendously more money.

As for obsolescence, there are still people buying used A1s, which I believe the X1 replaced. Lumin still updates discontinued products!

The icing on the cake is Lumin people support, as we have the uber helpful and responsive @wklie.

3 Likes

For me Peter is part of the sale consideration. His work and support is very visible in this forum and I think its excellent.

I have a Lumin M1 in an office system and he continues to deliver firmware for it. Fantastic!

4 Likes