M4a playback issue - Core on Linux

Hi,

I’m having problems with playback of m4a files on my Roon system. It seems to be a long-term issue that seems not to have been addressed regarding Core on Linux IMO, although I am happy to be shamed. I was about to start looking to buy an album that I thought I was missing, but it is on my server and Roon won’t play it.

And no - I don’t want to start faffing about converting stuff to flac - I expect Roon to be able to play / invoke the correct ffmpeg profile to play. I can play m4a on my Linux desktop without faffing, so why not on Roon which I pay for?

I am running Roon Core version 1.8 (build 898) on my Linux server which has ffmpeg installed.
Roon Bridge version 1.8 (build 880) on my my Pi based Volumio player in my office.
Roon version 1.8 (build 898) on my Windows machine.

I’m also running Roon on other endpoints such as my Moon 390 and various Apple wireless devices.

I’ve also had a long-term issue with running Plex on the same server which again seems to be unresolved in that the Roon server decides to drop connection and then decides after a certain amount of time to reconnect. Stopping Plex fixes this but I don’t see the same issue with Roon causing problems with Plex.

Any suggestions welcome. I can live with the dropout but I want to access the m4a tracks I’ve paid for.

Thanks and regards,

Richard.

Richard,

Where (folder) you installed the ffmpeg package?

Can you play mp3 files?

/usr/bin/ffmpeg /usr/share/ffmpeg

It will play mp3.

The default locations that Ubuntu / Mint put them.

Yes, no problem at all - along with other formats.

I have mine stored into the roonserver bin folder…