Mac mini headless

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Mac Mini I5 16GB Ram SSD latest roon build

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Sky Broadband Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
KEF LS50 Wireless USB Via Chord HUGO

Description Of Issue
I’d like to use this Mac mini in headless Connection to my KEF’s but i would Appreciate some advice on how to achieve this

I use a MacBook Air via ScreenSharing on a MacMini to run the Mini “headless”. I also use the Roon iPhone app on an iPhone. You could do the same thing by substituting an iPad for the iPhone.

At some point, you’re going to need a monitor/keyboard/mouse to set up the Mini and perform housekeeping tasks. At least this has been my experience.

1 Like

I also use a headless Mac Mini running the Roon Core, and when needed (e.g. rebooting it occasionally) I just use screensharing from my MacBook Pro which is my main Roon control device. As @Grant_Johnson said, you’ll need to set it up out of the box with a monitor/keyboard/mouse. I believe an iPad can also be used but IIRC it needs 3rd party software.

1 Like

I’m currently running my core on a windows 10 laptop i have a mac mini that I don’t really use much I’d like to move my core to the mac mini in a dedicated listening room but I’m not sure on the best way to set it up for music use only I would like to use the mac as the core connected to a thunderbolt HDD to my chord hugo dac to kef ls50 wireless speakers am waiting on the new iPad to be released which I would use as my control device

I use RealVNC. There are viewer apps for IOS and others. You can do 4 machines for free and check them remotely too.

1 Like

Thanks I’ll check out RealVNC

Depending on the age of your MacMini, you could use an iPad to mirror the Mini’s screen via SideCar (a built-in feature of OSCatalina).

Your MacMini needs to be 2018 or newer, running OSCatalina, and your iPad needs to be running iOS13.

As was mentioned earlier, there are 3rd party apps that already provide this, but Apple tends to make these things seamless and easy.

My mac is a late 2014 model running high Sierra but i have a apple tv 3 I could possibly use to mirror mac screen would it be better to use the mac as a roon sever or bridge as I’m not entirely sure the best way to set things up

Server (Roon Core).

Connect your MacMini to your Wifi network (you probably already do).

Have your music files installed either on the MacMini hard drive, or on an external SSD connected to the MacMini via USB or Thunderbolt.

Install the Roon app on the MacMini.

Follow the Roon instructions.

As mentioned previously you will need a monitor/keyboard/mouse or another Mac computer mirroring your MacMini screen to accomplish these tasks. You may be able to do this with an iPad running a VNC app, but I don’t have experience this approach.

If your Mac Mini is headless and is going to be your Core, install Roon Server. You don’t need to GUI of the Roon app.

Cheers, Greg

Like you, I use a Mac Mini as my server with Roon Server installed and I control Roon via an iPad with Roon Remote installed.

Occasionally i need to access the Mac Mini for some settings & so on, I use Duet (https://www.duetdisplay.com/) which allows my iPad to become the screen of the Mac Mini. With the latest release, it can even be achieved wirelessly. It has served me well so far, highly recommended.

Required a bit of configuration setup but after it’s set, it’s all good. To be installed on both the Mac and the iOS device, there’s a small subscription to unlock all features.

Thanks for the help guys i think I’ll go with the roon server option for this using a thunderbolt HDD for my music library

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.