Mac Mini or Nucleus for Tidal streaming?

This is a loaded sentence. It really depends on your budget. Assuming you already have a quality DAC, then the best audiophile solution is purchase a quality streamer from the likes of Lumin, Auralic, Aurender, etc. They are pricey.

I use a base level 2020 MacMini. Have run Roon with HQPlayer via USB into a Border Patrol SE-I DAC. I have used HQPlayer with Roon for years because I always found Roon sound quality on its own to be lacking.

Last week I bought a used Sonore MicroRendu 1.4 for $250. New it cost $875 and is essentially an UltraRendu. This device separates your Mac from the DAC. The Mac connects to the MicroRendu over the network, and the MicroRendu then connects to the DAC via usb. The idea is the Mac is noisy and the MicroRendu is a tiny low powered micro computer that provides a cleaner signal to the DAC.

I wasn’t expecting much. To my surprise, Roon without HQPlayer, and connected to the DAC via the MicroRendu sounds way better than Roon ever sounded connected directly to the DAC.

Roon seems to like this two box approach. I would never go back to having a direct MacMini to DAC connection again. A streamer of some variety is a must have if you’re using a computer.

There are exceptions. At one point I had a PS Audio DirectStream Junior DAC. That particular DAC sounded better with a I2S connection than via a streamer.

But for the Border Patrol, the MicroRendu has been transformative, particularly with using Roon by itself with no HQPlayer.

It’s worth noting the MicroRendu 1.4 is no longer available new. It has been replaced by the $399 MicroRendu 1.5 that has a lesser clock than the 1.4. The 1.4 is on par with the still for sale new UltraRendu.

SOTM has similar budget options.

Back to your original question regarding best audiophile solution, I would strongly consider the Lumin U1 mini ($2100?) if you already have the Mac mini and a DAC. Or the Lumin D2 if you’re starting from scratch ($2300?)

1 Like

I’d also recommend a Nucleus - sounded better to me than various other Server/NAS/streaming solutions

1 Like

I would also consider the Stack Audio Link 2 if you go for a 2 box solution (which seems the most sensible). Means your Roon core can be on just about any machine with sufficient muscle that takes your fancy and anywhere in your house. The Link 2 makes particular claims to very clean USB, and it’s Roon Ready, and in the best audiophile traditions you can upgrade the power supply.

1 Like

I was going to buy this before I stumbled across the used microrendu. The Stack has a very nice chassis for the same price. The microrendu is genuinely tiny and doesn’t look great on the rack.

1 Like

Rule 1: Core and Output on separate devices

Wait…I want to run a Roon Nucleus into my Hegel H390 amp using the USB output….would this be a violation of best sound quality Rule #1? Or am I reading too much into this? My set up goal is to run the Roon core on a fan-less device (aka Nucleus) because my output (HEGEL amp) is in the same room. My PC is fan cooled and noisy (during late night listening sessions). I want to migrate my existing core, from the PC, onto the Nucleus. I can connect the Nucleus to my network via Ethernet cable (albeit via an ASUS iMesh router system) as I’ve done with my Hegel amp. I’m not currently interested in placing anything between the Nucleus and the Hegel amp…even if it offers ‘better’ SQ.

If you are ready for some reason to lose sound quality, then you can connect the Nucleus directly to the DAC. If you want sound quality, then only core + endpoint. The difference in sound quality is very significant.

What is the purpose of the USB output? What should sit between the Nucleus and DAC on the amp? Or are you saying load the core onto the Nucleus (as a stand alone device) and utilize the Hegel amp as a Roon endpoint?

Connecting USB drives? :wink:

A Nucleus (or any core) is already network connected, so load a Raspberry Pi with Ropieee, networked via cable or wifi, and connect its USB port to your Hegel. This is not an expensive upgrade, it gets the core out of the listening environment, and satisfies Rule #1 :+1: Alternatively, try a commercial streamer.

Or plug in the USB port and check if it sounds bad. If it doesn’t, stop worrying :slight_smile:

We put the USB port on the Nucleus for USB DACs and external storage. We prefer networked endpoints for various reasons, but if you have a USB DAC, that’s what the port is there for.

1 Like

Thanks for the pragmatic feedback (as I contemplate buying a Nucleus). I lowered the fan speed on my PC via bios settings (for now): PC/Roon Core>Oppo UDP205 (network endpoint via ethernet)>Hegel H390 (via coax cable). Hegel is working towards getting the H390 amp Roon Ready.

I‘m using a NUC i5 running Roon ROCK that feeds a Raspberry Pi 4B running VitOS (https://www.silent-angel-audio.com/vitos-for-rpi4) and then USB out into a Devialet. Great sound that I actually prefer over the Roon/HQPlayer combo (though I haven’t much looked into HAP upsampling).
I might look into the UltraRendu path, but I doubt it would bring much improvement in sound quality.

Is there any chance we can expect a Roon network bridge in the future? :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve been holding off on getting one because I’m not happy with the options, but if Roon made one I might be convinced. . .

1 Like

You can use a NUC as roonbridge just don’t activate it as a core - I did this on a non NUC too, but your success might vary depending on the chipset for the computer you choose. You can do the same with a Nucleus if money is no object.

1 Like