Mac Mini S/PDIF questions

Hello

I’m new to the forum and currently testing a bunch of scenarios to decide on what Roon solution to use.

One of the solutions I am considering is a 2014 Mac Mini using the Toslink output directly to my Anthem AVM 90 Prepro. So I would like to try Roon server on the MM and also use it as an endpoint.

Is there a way to disable the upsampling on the MM? I’m looking for it to output whatever the content native bit rate and resolution is via Toslink

I’m using Crestron for control roon so a software player solution is not an option.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Kurt

What upsampling? Mac mini TOSLINK cannot output greater than 96 kHz sample rate.

AJ

I was able to set it at 192 24 running windows 10 on the MM. I have not tried Mac OS yet but was told it will do the same?

In either case it is a fixed output. So playing different songs at different bit rate and res will all output at the selected bit rate and res setting.

I’m looking fo have it output the same bit rate and res as the roon content on Tidal.

TOSLINK’s original specifications were 24/48, but, was moved upward to 24/96. Certain implementations might reach 24/192, but, it is not a guaranteed standard, and would need to be tested out on a case by case basis.

I used to do this.

I have a feeling the Mac mini does have an over spec 192k option (which some DACs don’t support).

To put roon in control you need to make sure the roon endpoint is in ‘Exclusive Mode” in device setup. Roon will then take full control of the device and set sample rate etc.

If you have 192k music and your DAC can’t cope when roon plays it - you can set the maximum sample rate in the device settings (I think advanced).

2 Likes

If you use enable exclusive mode in Roon it should, as Greg says, bypass the Mac’s system audio.

In which case Roon will control the bitrate, which by default will be the same as at source material ie. it will vary it correctly depending on the source ie 44.1Khz for CD rip, 96Khz for a HiRes stream.

I was wrong but with an asterisk. Mac mini 2014 is a one off unicorn that has the beyond specification hardware to support mini TOSLINK 192 kHz output. No other Mac mini does.

AJ

Hi All

Thanks for the responses. The reason I chose the 2014 MM was because I could run Monterey MacOS (which supports Roon), it has Intel silicon (In case Windows worked better than MacOS with Roon), and TOSLINK.

So I received the MM today and set It up. I’m happy to report that it works perfectly on MacOS. In exclusive mode it outputs 24/192 via HDMI and TOSLINK. Control from Crestron is very responsive and solid as well.

Comparing to a Node X and an NAD M50.2 using S/PDIF Coax, I can’t hear a noticeable difference.

Not a bad solution for under $100. LOL

Kurt