Mac mini spec 2011 running Roon

looking at getting a Mac mini to run Roon, I am a Mac person so feel more comfortable with Mac than Intel box. Will only use for Roon, so don’t want to spend a lot of$… looking at second hand this seems to fit specs that have been mentioned:
Mac Mini (Mid 2011)

4GB RAM
2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Storage upgraded to Samsung 256GB SSD
OS X High Sierra (clean install)
HDMI port
Gigabit Ethernet port
4x USB 2.0 ports
802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking
Bluetooth 4.0

the price is right for me, any comments? In terms of library size it will be in that mid range of a few thousand albums, plus running tidal.

Thanks for any advice

I have a similar Mac Mini and, although I do not use Roon on it regularly, I have done so successfully.

If you are purchasing just to run Roon, Mac or other OS isnt really germaine. The Mac mini you talk about is in fact an Intel box. However that’s not the point. To me if you want a no nonsense solution to just run Roon barring a Nucleus at more dollars, a NUC running Rock is the best and easiest solution. That said the Mac you refer to should do the job even if it is a bit old.

looking at second hand nut box then:
ntel NUC Mini

5th Gen Intel Core i5-5250U CPU 8GB Memory

Model: Intel NUC 5i5RYH

In built wifi

RAM-8GB
HDD - 128GB SSD

Windows 10 Pro

5th Generation Intel Core i5-5250U processor
Intel HD Graphics 6000
USB 3.0 ports; 2 front panel (1 charging capable) and 2 back panel
WiFi 802.11ac wireless and Bluetooth 4.0
Kensington lock support
Windows 10 Pro

slightly more expensive than the Mac mini…

worth it?

That’s what I would use. It will run Rock fine and become an appliance.

What’s your actual max. budget? Makes it easier for people to recommend different solutions.

Hi
About 500 nz $. The recommeneded nuc boxes here work out over $1000…
Im not super computer geeky which is why mac appeals. Reading the install process for ROCK looked slightly daunting…

Are you in NZ?

I am using a Mac Mini of 2012 vintage to run Roon and Audirvana without any apparent issues. I have extracted the Library from iTunes and tried to sort out duplications/muddled folders etc in order to help them to run smoothly, and I have no complaints on disk access or reproduction other than a very occasional stutter (USB into Naim). The Library is on an external SSD. I play up to 24/192 but not DSD.

You don’t have to install ROCK. Just keep Windows on the NUC and run the core on that.