MacMini help for a beginner audiophile

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Backup

1 Like

Was that for me? My Roon database backup is on my NAS but that has nothing to do with Time Machine. Or maybe that wasn’t for me.

For anyone thinking timemachine is a good way to migrate roon to another machine…it’s not recommended

Who doesn’t recommend it? I had absolutely no problem with doing it that way. What kind of problems could I have had?

Read the link…

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Backup#Using_Other_Backup_Applications

I see what you’re getting at now, that’s a different link than the first one you posted. I exclude the live database from my Time Machine backup.

1 Like

It’s referenced on the same page. Anyway now you know and others might learn too.

See what I mean

A Nuc is half the cost of a Mac mini and twice the machine if you want it solely for rock. I have a passive cooled case with large ssd drives, so a silent brick that never requires a restart.

In my setup it is easily controlled by apps on iOS, android, Mac and Windows. I can listen to roon on any of these devices or use each to control the Hifi system. Setup was actually easier than the mac install.

I love how my MAC Mini works for me. Dead silent and no dropouts…it’s dedicated to a Music only system but I have a 1TB SSD and and 1TB HDD for Back Up…Time Machine works perfect and I’m a Roon lifetime member! I would not have it any other way!

5 Likes

I used a mac mini for a roon core for a long time. I only switched to a nucleus Because I wanted the mac for other purposes. I can tell you categorically there is NO difference in audio quality between them and the ONLY difference I have seen is that the Mac was much more powerful and could more easily handle things like format conversions and room compensation.

2 Likes

or “perhaps” the device is USB noisy and the DAC is direct connected. Personally I have had many different platforms for my core over the years and while I seldom use a DAC directly connected I can also attest to not hearing any differences from one to another either. I do now run my core MOCK of an LMPS as well as my Lumin D1 and ER

Thank you for you feedback! Very reassuring. I‘ve read so many statements saying that because the OS of a NUC running ROCK is so sleek compared to Mac OS, that SQ improves considerably with NUC/ROCK. I was always doubting such statements. But the processes running in the background when only Roon Core runs on a Mini take very little resources away, given if one doesn’t run heavy computing tasks in parallel.
I am still debating if I should go the NUC route, but not from the point of view of SQ!

1 Like

NUC and ROCK make life less complicated due to the constant OS updates and whatnot that windows or MacOS have all the time. Seldom if ever touch or even reboot my ROCK system on NAC 7i7BNH in a silent case other than for roon updates and if I move it physically I might shut it down.

Nothing forces you to update your OS - I’ve had my iMac for over two years and haven’t had the need to update it.

2 Likes

That’s really interesting - seems to be a consensus in the audiophile world that the mac mini is noisy, as in this article from Darko: " The 2018 Mac Mini’s USB output, like most Macs before it, will more likely than not benefit from the decrapification of an interceding USB fixer-upper (see UpTone, Wyred 4 Sound, Schiit) or USB-S/PDIF converter."

The guy at my local HiFi store said the same, but maybe he was just trying to sell me a Blue Sound Node! It would be great to learn that the difference is overhyped, as I think the mac mini would be a great little solution for my budget.

2 Likes

I can imagine that the Mac might be noisy when going directly via USB into the DAC, although I haven’t tested that (and won’t be able to as my Mac is two floors upstairs).

I have a Roon endpoint consisting of a USBridge Signature. I guess (although I have no proof) that the USBridge sort of ,buffers’ away noise being fed via the Mac to the Ethernet. There are really cheap and very good Raspberry Pi-based endpoints that makes one independent of the upstream computer used.

Software updates, yes, sometimes inconvenient, although I like to keep my Mac updated, also because of security issues.

Hmmm, still debating if I should embark on the NUC route.

If you are not doing security updates and patches etc then more fool you. I’m not talking about going from Sierra to Mojave etc … windows is by far the worst offender with so many zero day exploits.

As a core, it’s great. If you are going to use it as a usb bridge to an endpoint, it can be noisy unless it’s an older one with the EXTERNAL power supply. The usb can be noisy on the minis with internal power supply.(but as a core, over ethernet, all is good)

2 Likes

If you have a mini to spare, go ahead and use it as a core(why buy something more and let the mini go to waste?) its makes a great core… but not a good endpoint.