macOS Catalina’s new security model broke Roon - how does this happen?

I am glad to read some thoughtful and nuanced responses in this thread, notably from @PixelPopper and @andybob.

I would like to add, having followed this forum relatively closely for over 2 years, that there is also evidence of real strengths in Roon’s communication with and support for users and aspiring users.

One only has to follow some of the support threads to see that on many occasions Roon staff go out of their way to assist users in diagnosing, troubleshooting and solving problems, be it in relation to the Roon software components themselves or for wider issues in configuration of local networking, switches, routers, storage, multiple operating systems, Internet connectivity and so on. I have not come across any other software supplier for the end-user market with that level of commitment!

Perhaps the resource and time requirements for this level of commitment do stretch the Roon team?
Perhaps it illuminates Roon as a broadly speaking technogists-led organisation, and a relatively small one?

And perhaps once in a while when there is a particular need for professional ‘mass communucation’ with customers, rather than individual technical support, the scenario doesn’t really play to the organisations core strengths and resources?

Possibly Roon on this occasion believes a certain message is conveyed by silence after an initial statement ('we are working on it with all available resources and due urgency’); but very different ones are received by some (‘we don’ t care about your problem’ … ‘we have seriously dropped the ball and are hiding away’)?

There is much truth IMHO in the line below:

I just hope that with any changes of practice, Roon does not change beyond recognition and will be able to retain its many strengths.

Oh, and I am holding back on Catalina, burned myself with Apple updates too often already. :wink:

3 Likes