Maintaining database integrity?

So, I can back-up the Roon database, and at least in theory, this would allow me to install it on a different system whilst maintaining all my edits and metadata - correct ?

However, as I see it, this depends on the underlying audio file structure being the same.

What would happen if, for instance, the NAS drive holding my audio files suddenly died, and I replaced it with a new one, before restoring all the audio from a backup ?

Would all my metadata and edits still be correct? Wouldn’t Roon simply import everything all over again, without any of my metadata ?

Sorry if this is documented somewhere - I couldn’t find it.

I’ve now had a solid 6 months of success using Roon, and am getting nervous about losing all my input, even though I have separate back-ups of the database files and the audio content.

This obviously applies to anyone who has invested time in curating their system.

Comments ? Suggestions ?

Thanks,

1 Like

I just transferred my Roon system and database from a Windows 10 machine to a sonic transporter. All music files were on a USB hard drive connected to the windows PC. I move the data base as instructed including removing the watched folder on the PC before moving the database. After moving the database I had to add the watched folders which are in a different directory structure on the sonictranspoter even though I just plugged in the same USB drive to that device. All works ok Roon found the files and has all my edits and though it did seem to be reimporting the files it was really quick this time and seems to have found everything ok and recognized they were the same files in a different location.

So I guess you will be ok. Instructions are here.

http://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_move_my_Roon_library_to_a_new_computer%3F

Back in Roon version 1.1, they implemented a method to track your files based on audio analysis rather than directory path structure. Even if the file names and all metadata tags embedded in the music files change, Roon will still track your edits properly.

Wow! Much more sophisticated that I realised.

Thanks for the info folks - now I can sleep at night :wink: