Major Virgin Media outage no Roon!

So the whole of VM network is down this morning, stated having issues last night. No Roon or ARC today then until it’s sorted.

2 Likes

This is why I still love physical media.

7 Likes

I have lots of physical media but that doesn’t help me play music in the office or other rooms. I only have one cd player and it’s not even connected to the Hifi. Time to retrieve it from the loft. Thankfully I have other options to Roon.

3 Likes

Ah that explains my early morning issues.
Don’t tell anyone else, but my Roon was still streaming local music :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I think I will go into the office in that case :angry:

1 Like

Mine is back on as about an hour ago . No Roon involved though this time. However we have had four brief power cuts this year so far (unusually) and each time this happens internet is out for a minimum of 30 mins as the router needs multiple reboots before it connects.

I hate this internet reliance thing… I wish Roon would reconsider their stance.

18 Likes

Unless you have Sonos speakers… No Roon for almost a week now…

Roon was working fine for me this morning, as was Netflix surprisingly

I wasn’t badly affected by VM’s issues yesterday but I get the impression they’re creaking some ATM. Seems to be similar issues every few weeks and DNS niggles are the outrider symptom…

VM don’t do blips, they tend to get to the point where the whole (or most) of the country goes down.
I think creaking is probably about right

I avoid their DNS all together

1 Like

Thankfully I was out all day doing family duties. :grin:

Annoyingly I had to reboot my whole network once home as my ISP IP changed and my UniFi router didn’t recognise it. :roll_eyes:

I do have offline content on my phone for these situations and when home my phone is my failover device to internet access.

I usually use 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 but I’ve been having issues with Disney+ on the kids iPads and have reverted to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4.

Yes I do the same, rock solid DNS at that point, but I do run a caching DNS server on my Synology that goes out to those DNS services. Generally very reliable

I do as well, but it doesn’t mean that I don’t see DNS errors which I suspect are reported by elements of VMs infrastructure.

1 Like

I thought you were far too old and wise to user the VM DNS servers.
Glad I was proved right :angel:

1 Like

I’m undoubtedly old and one out of two ain’t bad :wink:

2 Likes

In this case I will go for a 242 :grin:

I am not saying all cases and choices, but I feel good on this specific instance :rofl:

1 Like

Similar to PiHole?

No just a caching server DNS, that stores them in a local cache so that Roon doesn’t make a million requests a minute as it sometimes does when adding music.

I suppose I used 9.9.9.9 as a secondary server and that does some filtering but not to the same level.

In work I enforce OpenDNS with fairly strict rules and that works much more like a PiHole for industrial size businesses (excellent if fairly expensive product also available for free for personal use).

1 Like

Have a look at NextDNS, I’ve used it for years and am very happy with it.

2 Likes