Major Virgin Media outage no Roon!

I listened to the Darko podcast this morning and he has touched on it again. Seems to have moved further away from Roons thinking this time.
No excuse not to play what is already in the queue to the end even if you can’t search.

1 Like

No excuse at all. Roon needs an Offline mode with a basic search engine. Location of all local music is already stored in the database.

6 Likes

I don’t disagree I want Roon to work at home when there is no Internet.
But it is interesting as more people get caught out by this issue then the more annoyed they get with Roon’s stance.

1 Like

As you’d expect. In the beginning it was like „we changed it and no one noticed, ha!“…. Well, people are noticing.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, I feel for a bunch of us early lifers, it feels like it does not matter a whole lot if we notice, our cost per month keeps shrinking…

As of right now, if I stop using Roon it’s not a big loss for them… I know there’s a formula for it but I’m currently at 5.95 per month dropping ~$0.07 per month. That number is obviously getting smaller too. It’ll take another 3 years to get to $5.00 per month. :thinking:

Did 1.8 give offline usage. As I don’t have my own library of stored music I cannot test.

We can still downgrade to 1.8.

Edit: yep, just downgraded to 1.8. now I’ll test it’s offline capability (that I never needed).

Edit to my edit: tested with music on a USB SSD and it played. Unplugged my WAN cable and music continued and I was accessing my core as normal. Skipped tracks ok. Then selected an online/stream song and it all stopped.

I’m back on Roon 2.0 now.

1 Like

I’m sure you are already aware but this is still the official Roon stance.
Worth a read before you all get over excited.

1 Like

The whole idea of 1.8 Legacy was to keep it independent of the changes in V 2.0 (including Internet Always On)

BUT how long will 1.8 Legacy be supported , originally it was suggested a few months up to Xmas 2022 , it seems OK still but for how long. Any developer will find it difficult to keep up with dev advancements and keep an old version current. Sooner or later it will die. Look at Audirvana 3.5 , theoretically still alive BUT.

Roon is unfortunately a victim of its own advancement. To search 2 streaming services and a Local Library involves the internet whether we like it or not. Can it maintain 2 parallel search streams , streaming and local as it did in 1.8 and before AND still keep abreast of new searching technologies AND keep its user base satisfied - we wait to see …

Hi @Mike_O_Neill

Just advocating possible solutions/alternatives based upon individual needs.

I’ve disabled my core > internet, it’s been playing for a few hours now - search doesn’t work, and some artwork is disappearing… I’ll see how long it lasts like this, lol.

2 Likes

I am not saying you should but Roon , I believe , sees streaming as an integral part of its offering.

I agree a local library ought to be stand alone but the search engine must cope with anything available even if you don’ t use it. I can’t use Qobuz for example but the engine must be aware of Qobuz just in case You Do

You can’t win. If streaming doesn’t interest you then stick with JRiver who’s search engine is very snappy BUT it’s JRiver.

I don’t see how a developer can (and should) develop 3 different search engines just in case

Each to his own

Is this thread being hidden? It does not show up anymore in the forum listing. I had to search it to find this thread.

I see it but greyed out

It is going off topic. Guilty here.

Sort of true but outage is related to needing internet to use Roon.

1 Like

It has been moved to the appropriate section of Roon which is Feedback.
There really is not much more to be said as Roon has made its statement on this subject multiple times in multiple threads.
Continued axe grinding will not change that I’m afraid.

2 Likes

Perhaps continued feedback will have an impact?

2 Likes

Of course that is possible, which is why it is in feedback section now and the thread is still open.
Healthy discourse is always welcome.

1 Like

I was a TV customer for 31 years from launch until 2 months ago when I jumped to Sky Stream. The notion of less than stellar service in the absence of competition isn’t unique to Virgin but I’ve been lucky enough not to be in that situation for long. I do know a lot of their engineers past and present and I know their challenges. But I admit to not having been a broadband customer for a good few years (since 2008). And it is worth noting that blame also sits with BT/Openreach who are opting not to put fibre where you are just yet. The fix for you is choice.

Well, it actually didn’t take very long: after a couple of hours I got a login screen. So, yep, internet is definitely a requirement.

2 Likes