Make Focus an "OR" operation instead of "AND"

@danny why has roon changed the standard operator in focus from “OR” to “AND” with release 1.8?
I would suggest Roon should allow the user to select the operator.
I am happy that at least the invert function ist still available.
If I have to decide OR or AND I prefer OR.
Comments from Roon are welcome to understand why you have changed it and what are the plans regarding the comments in this thread.

2 Likes

That’s just one use case. What if you want to FOCUS on all Radiohead and Nirvana albums/tracks?

1 Like

We need FULL Boolean logic operators to be implemented. Those that don’t need it can ignore it. The partial implementations we’ve had to date do not allow sufficiently meaningful slicing and dicing of one’s library.

6 Likes

I cannot imagine that I would ever want to do that.

You can’t?? Well, I guess in that case, that feature is not needed. I stand corrected. :wink:

1 Like

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Problem started with 1.8

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

streaming to Lumin U1

Description Of Issue

I have severe problems with my normal listening mode. Normally I selected 7 genres and excluded another 2 and then started shuffle. That is not more possible - even if I select 4 genres, roon shows 2 albums! The more genres I choose, the less albums are chosen - weird! And if I start from the top to select a genre, then I don’t get the other ones by selecting: view more, it stops with four genres. A friend of mine has the same problem, even with other hardware. There must be more then a severe bug and I miss 1.7.

1 Like

I can see that lots of people miss OR functionality, and the switch did break some of my bookmarks which was a pain. However, I have been waiting for AND searching with tags, so please don’t remove it! Hopefully you can find a way to offer both and keep everyone happy.

7 Likes

In 1.8 at least the rating filter is ‘equals or greater than’ rather than just ‘equals’. So i’m unable to just pick 4 star albums, only 4 stars or greater. Why is it like this and was it like this in 1.7?

Hello @kwangomango,

We’re working on improvements to Focus in an upcoming Roon release that will provide the ability to customize focus queries using AND/OR logic. Keep your eyes peeled on the release notes category on community for updates!

-John

7 Likes

hope it comes out soon, missing how focus worked

Well I hope that change includes optimizing the resource overhead this creates. I have a Quad core 3.6 with 16GB RAM and that should be plenty to run a music library application, yet when I run a query with the AND logic that is currently in 1.8, Roon just dies afterwards, gets really slow, takes a minute between tracks, loads images slowly, needs to be restarted.

I’m posting onto this forum for the first time just to add my voice to this complaint. Like others, I used Bookmarks to create views of my music that combined labels, genres and performers. That feature is now broken because Focus is now combining items using AND rather than OR. And like others I ask for a boolean selector.
I’m very surprised though that this change has occurred as it breaks much of the Focus and Bookmark functionality and it was this ability to slice and dice your library using Focus was a promoted feature when I first subscribed to Roon 1.6. I was using Bookmarks and Focus because that was what Roon recommended. To break this functionality, whether by redesign or error, seems careless. I fear that too much consideration has been given in Roon 1.8 to the new GUI and not enough to maintaining and developing the existing features.

2 Likes

Fear no more! If 1.8’s GUI is something build with too much consideration we are all doomed!

2 Likes

What the progress is? Roon really broke the way I listened to my music and explore it due to this. Provide an update. @support

2 Likes

I am just learning how to use Focus (a nice tool) and posted about subgenre selection: Focus needs sub-genre
Now I see how to do it but it’s worthless if add’l tags REMOVE selections rather than add to them…

It already works after the update.

But now they’ve taken this logic out of being used with custom Tags. WTH???

Please ignore - answered my own query!

Yeah, this got listed as “solved” and removed from the 1.8 issue thread and it shouldn’t have been.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.