Make Focus an "OR" operation instead of "AND"

And if you add an album to your library with one of the genres it is automatically added to the tag.

1 Like

This seems to work. Thanks!

Oops. Spoke too soon. Adding an album with one of the genres does not appear to add it to the tag.

? Worked for me. I picked an album in Tidal from one of the recommedations at the bottom of one of the genres, added it, and it was included.

I also manually added one of the genres to an existing album, and that worked too.

Aha. I was doing it wrong. I was selecting all the albums in a genre and adding them to the tag. I tried again, just adding a genre (didn’t know you could do that) and it works. Adding a new album with that genre adds it to the tag. Thanks again, y’all!

2 Likes

Yep. Tags are quite powerful; especially in the ways they can interact with other parts of Roon, like genres and bookmarks. I really must get around to that “Tags: Tricks and Tips” guide I’ve been threatening to generate for a long time.

2 Likes

Yes please please please. If there’s a n00b’s guide to the first 10 tags someone could create to walk me through getting started, I’ll admit I find it a bit intimidating. I know people use them differently… and I am somewhat stunned by the paradox of choice given all the flexibility.

Danny…any update on this please? Are we talking days, weeks or months?

Thx

1 Like

May have been due to my post - I chose genre albums vs entire genre since I wanted to be able to weed out some albums from the tag (eg Christmas, ones I consider misclassified). Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think you can do that if you choose the whole genre.

1 Like

what a mega example of “do not fix what ain’t broke” this is. Just now I have no genres, yeah will GREAT if focus is fixed @danny

Now what? stopping/starting the rooncore service does not fix it, reboot? in the middle of working hours? not a fan…

Should I pretend I didn’t pay for this software and just let it be and continue to just deal with these issues as you would if you had an issue with a freeware?

Can you help @Danny ? very frustrating.

meantime after restarting roonserver:

I can’t see any way to exclude albums other than removing the genre(s) from them.

Hopefully it’s just something on the server side of roon and not the remotes, cause if it’s something that needs to be updated in an iOS app it’ll have to go through the Apple bs before it becomes available for download.

Bit late to the party , it may have been said above

Doesn’t FOCUS Imply a progressive filtering of the selection which in itself Implies AND not OR

Applying OR makes the selection wider not narrower

I see why it would break stuff and I sympathize but I do agree this logic is correct

I want

Classical concerto Beethoven

Before I would get all the Concertos In the library now it’s focused to just Beethoven, just what I Want

3 Likes

It depends on that you want to focus on. E.g. when you want to see all your FLAG and ALAC files then it is a focus on FLAC OR ALAC. AND would result to zero files. Of course there are many examples you want a focus that limits your selection on multiple criteria in non exclusive way.

1 Like

Exactly. If I want all the albums from Tidal that I haven’t listened to ever, I don’t want a list of all my Tidal albums AND all the albums I haven’t listened to. If I want all my Tidal albums that are 44.1, I don’t want a list of all my Tidal albums and all my other albums that are 44.1

Ya know - Focus - the frickin clue is in the title :man_facepalming:.

and AGAIN!! :

The logic is only “correct” from your POV. From mine, it is not. I want to focus on a combination of genres. How is that logic “incorrect”? Focus just means attention on something at the exclusion of other things. What I’m focusing on should be up to me. You should be able to further narrow the focus pool or add to the focus pool. As it is now, I can’t use Roon the way I often did.

1 Like

The logic changes depending on what you’re focusing on. When I focus on Jazz albums I get 1568. If I add focus on Bossa Nova I get 14. I have 14 Bossa Nova albums in my library also tagged Jazz. However, if I focus on Format by selecting FLAC I get 3778 albums. If I also select WAV I now get 3779 as I have one WAV formatted album in my library. Also, you can see the selection criteria is now combined as seen below.

Format appears to be the only focus criteria that behaves this way. Also, I’ve found the negative focus uses an OR logic. If you select the criteria you don’t want, click again to negate, you can use as many criteria you want and the result will be Not this OR this OR this, etc.

1 Like

May I ask what is your contribution?