Making Roon Industrial Strength

Well its that easy if you know what your doing?
How easy is that if you have zero Linux knowledge?

Configure Samba

For me with no knowledge that means nothing.

2 Likes

Well, if he’s managed to get Debian server installed then he has probably figured out that part or he can’t add tunes to his server from a windows machine. Regardless of distribution, configuring samba is the same job and requires the same know-how. Google makes it simple if it’s something you’re not familiar with.

I disagree.
It will hard to find a real perfomance gap between a blank server installation of debian or ubuntu.
And also I don’t see in here the real problem and need.
For me, I’ve also a lot of endpoints (over 15), a semi big library (150000 local tracks) and use intensive DSD upscaling also in multichannel and different filters for headphones with a standard ubuntu server (LTS 2022) and a current i9 processor.
There isn’t any problem in performance or stability.
T

2 Likes

and this is of course based on your having tried it, not just subjective opining on your part.

There’s a massive difference in how Roon behaves when being asked to handle a library of 150k tracks vs a library of 600k+ tracks which is closer to where I recall the OP’s library was a good few years back.

Actually this part’s not accurate. My library is 138k tracks. Not small but not the massive one some people have. Your recollection is correct in that I do use Roon Tags quite a bit.

I found this to be fitting for me:

We actually did install Clear Linux and get Roon Server running on it. But it took my 16 year old son to translate all the different instructions and tips in the Roon KB and to load up the bundle manager and all the rest to figure out how to do it. I did not want an install that took my son to complete - I needed to be able to do it myself.

Plus, the improvement I’ve already seen is dramatic. The music has paused inexplicably once, but no crash, no “this track is loading slowly,” no de-authorizing extensions, and oddly, this 2-core, 4-thread Linux machine is mostly faster in operating the remotes than my 8-core 16 thread Windows 10 Roon core.

Yah we figured it out but my initial take is that Ubuntu just has many more tips and the Roon materials are geared for it. When I get my Linux blackbelt I’ll consider it again - I appreciate the tips as I’m sure it’s great. One good thing is even on Ubuntu Server it is already much more stable.

Either way, the jump to Linux has been eye opening. I certainly suggest that Roon should highlight that users who want to push the software are likely better off with Linux. I guess that would push more Linux newbies like me into needing help and Rock is also an option, albeit I didn’t want to be tied to Rock’s hardware limitations.

Thanks everyone for the help! I can’t say it’s a done deal yet that Linux is a complete solution however the results are very favorable after 12 hours. I loaded it up last night with sufficient peripherals that it would have killed my Windows 10 core and even on this lesser machine there wasn’t a real hiccup.

8 Likes

Clear Linux looks like a really good alternative. It’s optimized for Intel, so it should be a superior performer to distributions that are more “generic.” I’ve been running Roon on Linux (Debian) for more than a year now and haven’t looked back.

As a quick update, the beta test with my son’s older machine as a Linux box was very successful. So now I’ve converted my actual Roon core to Linux. The performance is so much better than windows, it is night and day. Anyone who has problems with windows as a core should try it.

10 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: ROCK or Core on Linux?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.