Manually adding ffmpeg does not work

ok. Just for clarification: You’ll need ffmpeg for the amd64 architecture. When you download it from johnvansickles page, you’ll normally need to extract the archive at least once and sometimes twice (depends on the used application for this process).
You only need to copy the file ffmpeg into the RoonOnNAS/bin folder.

When done, you have to restart Roon Server in the app center in order to make use of the new provided ffmpeg.
:wink:

1 Like

OK - so I used the AMD64 ffmpeg, no change. The UI still shows Roon is using the system ffmpeg version.

I then stopped Roon, moved the entire 5Gb RoonOnNas database without change back from the plug-in Samsung USB SSD to where it used to be, in my Media folder on the main QNAP storage, restarted Roon, used the UI to change to the new database location, restarted Roon and the UI showed that it was now using the user supplied ffmpeg.

So there is clearly a problem with having the database on an attached USB device, maybe I need a different device, or there is a system setting somewhere that needs changing.

Anyway, I hope a solution can be found and I can move the database back to the SSD with Roon Core correctly using the user supplied ffmpeg.

Thanks

1 Like

And just to add that it was a job and a half getting Roon working after all this - the database move seemed to corrupt something. Had to start over, fortunately not so much lost - had to set up all the audio devices again. Now listening to calming Radio 3!

Out of curiosity, are you still having this issue with the new builds? My gear is similar, and I’m using a USB ssd drive for the database. I’m able to update my ffmpeg but the system reverts every night, forcing me to retsart the service if I want to play Live Radio or mp3, etc.

What’s the difference in performance when the database is on the NAS disks? If it’s not terrible, I might try to migrate it back to the NAS so I don’t have to restart Roon every day.

I gave up trying, put the core back on the NAS discs and focused on improving the network instead.

So now, apart from the well reported but yet to be fixed (by Arcam) problem with the Arcam Solo Uno volume control via Roon, Roon loses the Arcam perhaps once or a couple of times a day, and finds it again a few seconds later. Otherwise the performance is fine at the highest bit rates. I could replace the disks, or one of the RAID pair, with SSDs, but at a few £100 I am not convinced it is a) worth it and would b) fix the remaining issue.

One thing I have observed - I’ve grouped the Arcam with my Linn streamer and an old Apple TV device to stream as a single airplay zone. I don’t often use it, but if I do, and then revert to streaming to the Arcam via RAAT, the Apple TV device going back to sleep upsets things and Roon loses the Arcam.

Maybe!

1 Like

I’ve got this issue as well, also on a TS 251+, also with the roon software on an external SSD drive. I had it previously working with these devices, but due to a long story, ended up reformatting my SSD, reinstalling Roon, and when I add the new Jogn Van Sickle ffmpeg to the proper folder and reboot, it still doesn’t function and in the app center Roon application, still shows me as using the 3.3.6 system version. Any new news / thoughts on how to fix?

Hi Mark - no, sorry. I gave up. Performance is OK with the QNAP spinning discs, and even the Arcam Solo Uno is not dropping out as often at the moment. My only thought is whether it depends on what kind of plug-in SSD is used. I just used a USB stick, but maybe something else is needed. Chris

1 Like

@crieke
Any thoughts or advice on this?

Nothing further tried at the moment.

I have exactly this problem. Moved to a Samsung SSD for database. Tried putting ffmpeg into RoonOnNas/bin. It still picks up version 3.3.6 (system version?).

which ffmpeg do I need? I have QNAP T235A but Roon Server is on the Samsung SSD. I have tried the AMD and the i686 but neither get picked up. Ideas welcome as I have many .m4a files.

Hi Christopher
QNAP HS251+ QTS 5.0.0.2055
RoonServer on Samsung Portable SSD
I have been following these threads for a while now, since losing the ability to play .m4a files, etc, and have made several attempts to get ffmpeg up and running by manually installing in the /RoonOnNas/bin folder, restarting the Roon application, reinstalling the application, re-booting, etc, all to no avail; like others have found, the Roon Server web ui still shows the ‘system default’ ffmpeg version 3.3.6, confirmed in the RoonOnNas log file.
I’m stumped
Regards, Justin

Just checking in again to see if anyone has made progress on this. If not, does someone know how to get an admin into this thread who could take it to their dev team?

Does this mainly happen on external volumes? I usually recommend using ext4 filesystem here. I could imagine, there might be issues with other filesystems like extFat or NTFS, as they might not fully support to set the executable attribute for the ffmpeg file.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Ffmpeg not installing on QNAP [Solved]

Sorry to bring this post back from the past, but for some reason Crieke, I never saw this last suggestion. This was the answer for me. Reformatting my external SSD from NTFS to EXT4, adding the new ffmpeg and fully restarting the QNAP NAS has me up and running again finally after a couple of years without access to radio streams. Thank you!

My RoonOnNAS on a Synology DiskStation works fine, but I am not sure if ffmpeg is correctly installed. After copying ffmpeg (latest version from John Van Sickle - FFmpeg Static Builds) into the bin directory, I checked the log file. It looks like this:

root@DiskStation1621:/volume2/Roon/RoonOnNAS# more RoonOnNAS.log.txt

12.01.24-18:30:09 --- ROON_DATABASE_DIR: /var/packages/RoonServer/shares/Roon/Ro
onOnNAS
12.01.24-18:30:09 --- ROON_DIR: /var/packages/RoonServer
12.01.24-18:30:09 --- Model: DS1621+
12.01.24-18:30:09 --- Architecture: x86_64
12.01.24-18:30:09 --- DSM Version: 7.2.1 (Update 3)
12.01.24-18:30:09 --- PKG Version: 20220216
12.01.24-18:30:09 --- Hostname: DiskStation1621
12.01.24-18:30:09 --- MTU:
12.01.24-18:30:09 --- ROON_DEBUG_ARGS: -noraatserver
12.01.24-18:30:09 --- ffmpeg: /var/packages/RoonServer/shares/Roon/RoonOnNAS/bin
/ffmpeg
12.01.24-18:30:09 --- RoonServer PID: 9783

########## Installed RoonServer Version ##########
2.0 (build 1359) production
production
##################################################

I am a little bit confused, because I can not see if ffmpeg is really used or started correctly like this example of log output in RoonOnNAS.log.txt

############### Used FFMPEG Version ##############
ffmpeg version 4.4.1-static https://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/ Copyright (c) 2000-2021 the FFmpeg developers built with gcc 8 (Debian 8.3.0-6) configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --enable-static --disable-debug --disable-ffplay --disable-indev=sndio --disable-outdev=sndio --cc=gcc --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enable-gmp --enable-libgme --enable-gray --enable-libaom --enable-libfribidi --enable-libass --enable-libvmaf --enable-libfreetype --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-librubberband --enable-libsoxr --enable-libspeex --enable-libsrt --enable-libvorbis --enable-libopus --enable-libtheora --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvpx --enable-libwebp --enable-libx264 --enable-libx265 --enable-libxml2 --enable-libdav1d --enable-libxvid --enable-libzvbi --enable-libzimg libavutil 56. 70.100 / 56. 70.100 libavcodec 58.134.100 / 58.134.100 libavformat 58. 76.100 / 58. 76.100 libavdevice 58. 13.100 / 58. 13.100 libavfilter 7.110.100 / 7.110.100 libswscale 5. 9.100 / 5. 9.100 libswresample 3. 9.100 / 3. 9.100 libpostproc 55. 9.100 / 55. 9.100

Could somebody clarify?

Looks good. If it’s running right, you should see something like this (the key line is the one that has “ffmpeg” in it; I’ve never seen separate output for “Used FFMPEG Version” in my logs before:

15.01.24-07:14:34 --- ROON_DATABASE_DIR: /var/packages/RoonServer/shares/Roon SSD/RoonOnNAS
15.01.24-07:14:34 --- ROON_DIR: /var/packages/RoonServer
15.01.24-07:14:34 --- Model: DS1522+
15.01.24-07:14:34 --- Architecture: x86_64
15.01.24-07:14:34 --- DSM Version: 7.2.1 (Update 3)
15.01.24-07:14:34 --- PKG Version: 20220216
15.01.24-07:14:34 --- Hostname: Tunes
15.01.24-07:14:34 --- MTU: 1500 1500
15.01.24-07:14:34 --- ROON_DEBUG_ARGS: -noraatserver
15.01.24-07:14:34 --- ffmpeg: /var/packages/RoonServer/shares/Roon SSD/RoonOnNAS/bin/ffmpeg
15.01.24-07:14:34 --- RoonServer PID: 17292

########## Installed RoonServer Version ##########
2.0 (build 1359) production
production

Thanx, so my config & runtime looks fine.

1 Like

Can you play a .mp3 file or radio station? For example Classic FM.

If you can, you’re fine.

Yes, both is working. Thanx for clarification!