Manufacturer (Playback Designs) is being blocked as a Roon certified device

What would hurt Roon’s business is when devices with broken Roon Ready implementations appear in the field … guess who gets the blame.

In these cases it is basically always the device vendor to blame: Roon Ready certification is well documented, both from a technical perspective and process wise.

The only thing I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be better to remove the message that Roon shows right now. Maybe it’s better to disable it completely: the device just won’t work and it’s up to the manufacturer to resolve this.

disclaimer: I’ve done Roon Ready integrations.

4 Likes

You probably misunderstood my quote. I totally agree with Roon only certifying devices when they’re ready. I simply expressed the hope that Roon would take action against companies that advertise devices as Roon Ready when in fact they’re not (yet).

1 Like

I know. I’m using one of those right now. FYI it’s amazing!

1 Like

Hi there,

The length of time per certification varies wildly depending on multiple factors. We’ve found that it’s a really bad idea to put timetables on certifications given that there are so many elements outside of our control. Sometimes the issues we find don’t even allow for the device to be enabled or played to. This sets up an extremely negative experience for our users and it’s negative experiences that the partner’s program is meant to prevent.

Right now we are waiting on firmware after having completed our first round of testing. Once we receive the new firmware, I’ll ask our team to give Playback Designs priority. They are known for their great products/great work and will hopefully resolve the issues we identified in our testing the first time around!

Best wishes,

Wes
Roon Partners Team

6 Likes

Thanks much @Wes . Your response is much better aligned with what I would expect from Roon. Thank you again for this additional clarification and your professionalism. I will certainly reconsider my return now, and please don’t prioritize on my account as the USB direct work-around does a fine job. Perhaps others waiting could also use that method during the certification process. Cheers, Marc

2 Likes

Hi @thd99.999, my comment about there being speculation in your post is in reference to the quote below.

As I clarified, your statement is inaccurate. We are not paid any licensing fees for Roon Ready status. There is a certification process involved that requires hands-on testing by our Hardware Expert. Once testing is completed successfully the device is certified, Roon certification is not, and never has been, achieved by the manufacturer paying us a fee. We’d appreciate it if you would refrain from saying otherwise. Thanks in advance for your cooperation. :pray:t2:

4 Likes