Mass Deletion of Duplicates and Partial Duplicates

Well, I don’t think I got any further followup from Roon support after that last entry. This said, and I’m not sure when and how I did it, but the database seems to have normalized, for lack of a better description.

Nowadays, Roon shows me:

34,864 albums
231,012 tracks
3,705 artists
109,484 lyrics
46,298 reviews and bios
54,433 images

If you compare to numbers above, a lot still doesn’t make sense. Why would the number of tracks go up from 71K or so to 231K now, but the number of artists has gone backwards? No good answer.

Different album versions seem to have once again found each other, without having to do constant forced rescanning. But, and I find this so with MCH albums in particular, I sometimes have to enable hidden tracks to find albums.

I’ve just learned to live with it. JCR

I’m having my own duplicate woes / puzzlement, but I’ll write it up in a separate thread when I have the time.

Most of my issues come because I collected lossy music for a while, and then lossless secure rips, and then hi-res. All at different eras of my life, and there is some overlap. Plus I’ve gotten copies of friend’s bootlegs/soundboards of a bunch of jam bands, which are not totally my thing but are pretty cool. Finding and eliminating duplicates, and grouping is a big endeavor, even at a fraction of the size of your collection. Would you say you’re happy now / it’s worth it? Have you ever found something you knew should be in your collection that you couldn’t find in Roon / which eventually did turn out to be there?

Johnny, as a lifetime member, I’ve been happy with Roon even with my problems along the way. It’s a really nice product and works well across the 15 endpoints in our home. Sure, the duplicate thing drove me crazy, but it seems to mostly have resolved itself after breaking down and doing a full re-scan. There are certainly some things that I could probably find quicker and easier with a file system, like JRiver uses, but I think the situations where I truly couldn’t find something I was looking for are quite rare, at least now. JCR