Memory Leak on Qobuz

I recently subscribed to Qobuz in Canada, but whenever I activate that service, a memory leak causes the system to become unusable after several hours or perhaps one day. After a while, the Roon process start growing in size and when it reaches 8 or 10 Gigabytes, it becomes unusable: the music keeps dropping for long periods.

Note that I have been using Tidal for several years without any problems. Someone suggested the problem might be due to on-the-fly audio analysis of Qobuz data, but I deactivated that analysis completely and no change resulted.

Here is a description of my system:

Roon version (both server and remote): version 2.0, build 1311

Roon Server setup:

• running under Windows 10
  • Intel NUC, i5-7300U CPU
  • 32 Gig of RAM
  • 500 Gig SSD
  • 2 Tera internal drive for music library
  • connected on 10/100 ethernet

Audio device: Roon Ready Devialet 220 PRO streamer/amplifier.

I searched the forum and found some people reporting similar problems, but apparently this only happened with older versions of Roon and was fixed with more recent ones.

Can you please offer suggestions?

There is no on the fly analysis of Qobuz that’s purely for local files added to your library when it’s working out the DR and waveforms.

How many favourite albums are there in Qobuz ? Or is it pretty empty. Adding in a new service will briefly consume resources as it adds then to your local database and retrieves all the metadata. But it does sound like something else is going awry if it’s consuming that much ram. How many tracks do you have in total?

At this time, I only have 2 favorite albums on Qobuz.

My own library includes 3139 albums with 48279 tracks.

I have been trying to run long enough with Qobuz that I think we can probably exclude any “new service effect”.

Hi @Pierre_Isabelle

I’m just a fellow Roon user.

If you feel Qobuz might have been the cause, log out or disable Qobuz in Roon. Reboot your Roon Server. Run it as normal.

Does the same happen?

If no - very odd that adding Qobuz would do this

If yes - then I’d suggest trying Roon Rock. I say this as myself and one other using Windowz recently had similar experiences. Suddenly CPU and RAM load shooting up. I have 2 SSDs, one with Windowz and one with Rock. I can hotswap them easily on my machine.

Now using Roon Rock, no issues.

I have also used Ubuntu server for a long time with Roon Server for Linux with no issue.

YMMV

:innocent:

1 Like

Hi @Menzies,

I know: my response is more than late… I had failed to monitor this forum since then.

Anyway, I did conclude that Qobuz was indeed the cause the troubles with my Windows Roon server. And I temporarily interrupted my Qobuz subscription, until I can find the time to migrate my NUC OS to Ubuntu or ROCK.

Cheers,

Pierre

2 Likes