Metadata Errors

Here’s an absolute howler:

This has mistaken the new age guitarist William Ackerman for the Nashville session drummer Willie Ackerman.

Not good. Please Roonies think outside the box for solving these metadata issues. These kinds of data issues take us outside of the immersive Roon experience.

Every user that has a collection outside of the top 10 sees these issues every day. Problem is - humans aren’t issued with a GUID! How to fix?

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s mystifying where some of the erroneous content even comes from. Just today I was looking at the discography for Steely Dan, and found this bizarre entry:

I’m guessing this comes as a bit of a surprise to Donald Fagen (sadly Walter is no longer with us). Maybe he can sue for royalties though.

Donald Fagen would have to sue many others as it looks as if ´Steely Dan´ is on many sources such as Apple Music’s app assigned as a primary artist of this album. So it looks like someone who had uploaded metadata had slightly exceeded his or her authority.

Is it possible to remove SD as primary artist in roon manually making the album disappear from their discography?

I would really love to see roon providing us with more tools to improve metadata, but with data of such quality coming in from certain record labels, I doubt anything can be done automatically. At best, more tools could help to identify such cases of metagarbage, or some community-based flagging/correcting mechanism might be possible in future.

1 Like

Folks - I’ve moved these posts out of the Roon Software Discussion category and into the Metadata category of the forum. This is the place where metadata errors can be flagged to the Roon Labs metadata team.

1 Like

I saw that in Apple Music and the Deezer listing as well. I know Discogs has a mechanism for users to crowd-source corrections, in the Wikipedia style. It would be interesting to have some method of watermarking metadata to see where the original information came from.

Hmmm. How about world government?

Clearly the old tribal system of a given name combined with a family name is insufficient for the modern world, where everyone is virtually next to everyone else.

The problem requires a single unified database, which in turn requires a world government. Once formed, the government will create a special department, the GUID Assignment Bureau. GAB will enroll as enforcers all unemployed people worldwide. They will fan out across the globe and assign a GUID to each person, tying them in the database to both DNA and retinal maps (to distinguish between identical twins you’ll need an epigenetically influenced biometric). GAB enforcers will be encouraged to inform on each other, and even rumors of corruption will trigger the harshest possible penalties (the Chateau D’If comes to mind). Use of the GUID will be strongly encouraged, or rather, non-use of the GUID will be severely punished.

That should fix it!

1 Like

Peters and the Wolves

1 Like