Metadata lookup tools

I think you are being rather paranoid here, sure I write applications that use MusicBrainz but I’m not trying to derail your project, I was just trying to give some advice based on some experience in this area.

Well yes I really didn’t want to spend too much time on this, but I thought it was useful snapshot since you haven’t provide much to backup your claims about Jaxsta. When people say MusicBrainz has incorrect information it is almost always because they dont quite understand what they are doing, really the data is rarely actually wrong.

I was discussing your project, but I think you only want complimentary comments so I will leave you to get on with it, good luck.

sure Paul, whatever you say. moving on…

Ok everyone. Thanks for being patient. I am going to start compiling the app later today. I am guessing it should only take until tomorrow if everything goes smoothly. I apologize if I did not respond to your request to be included, but of course you can be included :slightly_smiling_face: Everyone who wants to try this, send me a pm with your email address, and which OS you use. Please remember that this is the first test app and no where near the finished product. Thanks for all of the information and for all of the suggestions so far, all of which I continue to research and work on. I will keep sending out new versions when something has been added or changed or fixed.

On that note, is there anyone that is very familiar with PyQt/PySide 6 that would like to help? Nothing big, just some questions over the next few weeks about some of the more complicated widgets and procedures.
Thanks!

1 Like

Well unfortunately things did not go smoothly :frowning_face:, but they are going a little bit better today. The program used to compile and package applications is not compatible with the newer GUI software that I used, but the older version of the GUI software does not work properly with my code. lol, of course not :rofl: I am still working on this though. I am close to getting a Mac version out the soonest. Sorry again for the wait

1 Like

A Mac OS version is ready :exploding_head: I can make it either light mode or dark mode so please let me know which you prefer in your messages. if you have already messaged me, expect an e-mail soon. Thanks!

Hey @Sheldon_Stokes. I am going to start working on lyrics. What sources would be satisfactory to you as a user? Genius lyrics comes to mind, but I worry about accuracy. At the same time, I have no idea if LyricsFind is any more accurate. they provide to a lot of services like deezer and it may be possible to get lyrics from Lyrics find through other APIs that use them. What are your thoughts on this? Any other sources you like better? I appreciate your input :smiley: thanks

I have used an application called lyricsfinder (MediaHuman Lyrics Finder - adds missing lyrics to your music collection). I uses:

LyricsFreak
Genuid
Megalyrics
AZLyrics

Lyrics would be great, but being able to fetch liner notes would be outstanding.

Sheldon

I use that app too! I really like it! That should be easy enough. Thanks!

Hello everyone!
I have some good news, which is that I finally have a fully signed and notarized version for MacOS. These are needed so that the app is recognized by Mac OS , allowing it to run without any work arounds. The app is also much further along. Please send me your e-mail addresses if you want to try out a MacOs version.

@Eric_JARROUSSE, @Philipp_Zierdt, @Kevin_Joffe, @bluhska, @Jan_Prummel , @Henkemannen - any Mac users? if not, what OS?

Would anyone here be interested in helping me get a windows version out. I need my code compiled on a windows machine to get an .exe file for windows. If anyone here is good with python, all you have to do is download PyInstaller or py2exe and run it. Thanks

1 Like

I want to try a windows version

i’m not really good at python, got some basic knowledge

Mac M1 Mini with 11.6 here

Yep, I’m On macOs.

MacOS here as well. I have a bit of XCode experience as well but I’m no expert. I use python for data analysis and such, but not super strong in GUI building with it.

I’ll be glad to help you out testing. I have a variety of machines but all but an old mini are on Big Sur, so I can’t help much with older OS versions.

Sheldon

Hey @Sheldon_Stokes
That sounds great. I am sending out a copy tonight in about 3-4 hours. BigSur is fine, that is what I am using and it won’t go any further back than Catalina I think.
I will send some instruction and more info in the email.
Thanks!

@Sheldon_Stokes please pm me your e-mail address. Thanks

You could use an existing (probably free) lyrics aggregator (fetches lyrics from multiple places and works quite well):

Hey,
Thanks for the link! I checked it out and didn’t see any mention of an API, but I sent an e-mail asking if they do have one. I have a couple of other similar sources/code I can use too when the time comes :grin:

Yes, there is :slight_smile: but I guess you could easily create one yourself. There are a couple of good APIs available (e.g. Musixmatch etc.).

To all the Mac users and the linux user thanks for testing and providing feedback so far. As you all know, I am having a lot of trouble with the available options out there to compile Python script into an application. I won’t go on and on with the details but I have decided to switch to using Swift and Xcode. I literally started coding with Swift a couple of days ago and I am between 25% and 50% of where I am currently in my python app. It is a pretty easy transition. The good new is that the app will work much much better on Macs than the python version has. It really is amazing how simple it is to use threading and async API calls in Swift. The bad news is that a Windows or Linux version will be delayed a little bit. I have already started looking into the best way to go from swift to another language and it looks like it can be done. I think this will save time overall though and just change the order apps for each OS are released.
Here is a screen shot of the main search screen.

Currently, the way I am configuring it is that the initial search will be less detailed. The album search will show the artists name, the album title, and the album id. It will distinguish itself by saying either “Spotify Album id”, “Apple Album id”, or “Album id”. I could also just put a label like in the Python version that says “Source: Apple Music” or “Source: Spotify” etc. Instead of clicking on the row, you would now click on the arrow button, which would take you to the album, song, or artist view with more details and larger artwork.

So I have taken some suggestions to basically consolidate all of the search options and get rid of the drop down menu at the beginning of the search. So now, you would just search for an album, for example and select the correct album from the search results shown above. From there you can get to the other views using buttons. For example, you would use a button to get to the albums tracks view and then to the tracks detail view instead of selecting this option from the drop down menu. I am hoping it makes the app easier to use and understand. Thoughts and suggestions always welcome.
Thanks!

3 Likes

1 Like