Metal deserves to be a top-level genre (or let users rearrange genre nesting)

Metal deserves to be a top-level genre with all of the current Heavy Metal sub-genres nested under it.

Currently, Heavy Metal and all its sub-genres are nested under Pop/Rock. Focusing is an extra annoying click. Metal has about as much to do with Pop/Rock as Reggae at this point. Come to think of it, what does pop have to do with rock?

Admittedly this is all very personal stuff. Perhaps the larger issue is that users can’t rearrange genres (not talking about the mapping feature) to suit they music they listen to.

PS: Props for the current genre management system. Multi-genre tagging is a blessing.

Users can already rearrange genre nesting. (Edit: Maybe @Richard_Duncan who voted for this suggestion is interested as well)

Go to Heavy Metal, click the edit button:

Select Edit under Parent Genre, then open the Choose Genre menu:

Click Make Top-level Genre:

6 Likes

Huzzah!! Thank you so much!

1 Like

When I try the above I get the message “A genre"s parent can not be set to itself or one of its subgenres”. It doesn’t work!!!

1 Like

Are you clicking this?

So that it then looks like this?

That still works for me as it should:

1 Like

My ipad popup keyboard was blocking the ability to choose that option it seems. I was able to move it out of the way so I could see the option. Now it works. Thx.

1 Like

I am using Roon for 4 years, lifetime.
Until yesterday was using my own Imported Genres (>1000 CDs), about 10 chrystal clear genres. Thought I give the Roon Genres a try.
I am back to my Genres, after HOURS wasted on trying to sort out how that fcking thing works in Roon. Browsing the Community, the KB, the Web. How can this “nesting”, “mapping” stuff be SO COMPLICATED guys?! Go to any record store and see how they do it.
Subgenres like Heavy Metal under Pop/Rock is just one piece, but editing / changing this stuff in 1 place, to sth that it makes sense individually is just NONSENSE.
I want to listen to a Death Metal Album and have to go Pop/Rock-scroll down 86cm and click through 3 other genres to land in that genre? Or, it takes a day to nest / map / sort everything like I want it? There should be some easy solution to it? Maybe some GenAI, if it’s too complicated for a human brain.
“You don’t want Daniel Barenboim to appear in Latin - just change it”… haha, give me a break.
Who looks after this from Roon Labs? Don’t seem to have “real life” problems? Enough. Grrrr.