microRendu General Thread

@anon94274355 The microRendu sounds better then the Sonicorbiter SE + Regen. As @AllenB mentioned John put a better version of the Regen in the microRendu. Plus you get all the other noise reducing improvements.

Noticing a soft “pop” when playing upsampled DSD128 to the mR. About once a minute when using the closed form filter in HQP. Anyone else hearing similar ?

Edit: I think this was an Ethernet cabling issue. Reverting to non-shielded cable seems to have fixed it.

Shielded is just coupling your switch to the microRendu. Shielded has a place in data centers where the large amount of close proximety cables can cause interferience issues not with audio devices where you want as much isolation as possible.

Unshielded, good quality Cat 6 is the best option.

I was worried about the rats nest of cables, power conditioner, transformer etc behind my system. Turns out the solution was worse than the problem.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Comparisons of microRendu and Aries

It isn’t the shielding per se, it is that the shields are tied into the connectors thereby allowing for the noise coupling. I learned this lesson when I originally switched to Cat 7 cabling for exactly the same reasons you did and then went back to shielded Cat6a , which seems to be better than the 5e I started with and the Cat7 I tried next.

Update:

We have completed some updates to the Shairport output mode. Let us know if you here a sound quality improvement.

Please follow this upgrade procedure for the microRendu:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager
  2. Now select Update
  3. Wait for “Back to main menu” to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices

SONORE computer audio - Rendu | microRendu | Sonicorbiter SE

Look what my VP Adrian dropped off the other day as a surprise. Seems he had a little project going on that I didn’t know about.

Hard adapter replacement custom made for Sonore in the USA.

Are you shippig those with new microRendus? Can they be purchased separately?

They ship separately for now. Soon we will give the option to purchase with the microRendu.

FYI: Andre Marc of Audio Video Revolution posted a review of the microRendu:

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-accessories/acoustics-eq-room-tuning/sonore-microrendu-ethernet-to-usb-streamer-review.html

Thanks Andre

Interesting that Andre hears a difference between Roon and DLNA. I wonder why that is.

Roon is a player running on your computer which streams to RoonReady on the microRendu. DLNA/MPD is a player running on the microRendu. These are two very different protocols.

I understand they are two different protocols, but aren’t they also both bit perfect? I don’t understand how changing the protocol changes the sound. What is the protocol doing to the bits to change them?

If things were that straight forward everything (cd players, computers, DACs, etc) would all sound the same.

1 Like

I get that DACs have different sounds, they are after all “converters”. But the others are just transports. How does the software protocol change the sound?

Raat enables the DAC to own the clock, the other doesn’t.

That is not true.

Elaborate…

If you have an asynchronous USB DAC it will work with the microRendu accordingly. If you have an adaptive USB DAC it will work with the microRendu accordingly.