Microrendu on different subnet than core setup?s

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
mac mini

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

cable modem with 5 static IP’s / 4 LAN ports
mac mini with roon core connected to cable modem using one of the 5 static IP’s on one LAN port
netgear ac1200 router connected to cable modem using one of the 5 static IP’s on one LAN port
microrendu connected to netgear router on LAN side with DHCP address

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
sonore microrendu

Description Of Issue

Looking for best way to have the core see the microrendu as its behind the netgear router. I don’t have any more physical ports on the cable modem to use. The cable modem has another server using up the 3rd port and an apple air port router uses the 4th port. The air port could go on the local LAN I suppose but I’m not sure having the microrendu using a fixed IP is very good.

Hi @steve_brangwyn1,

In order for Roon to work properly, all devices must be on the same subnet as the Core machine.

I was hoping for maybe some way to map the internal IP to an external one that would put both on the same subnet. I do have an unused IP address available. Or forward a port?

Hi @steve_brangwyn1,

Only devices on the same subnet are officially supported by Roon. If you’re interested, I can move this over to the #tinkering section of Community where you may be able to get some guidance from others in the Community about possible options for you to make a setup like this work.

My microRendu has a fixed IP address. In fact all of my audio gear has been set to have a fixed IP. I prefer it that way so that things don’t jump around and land on top of each other. There is no reason to not have it set up that way that I can think of.

And what about Roon in ROCK with more than one ethernet card?
Here .
And doesn’t such a choice suggest that Linn DS can work on either of two subnets?

I have some networking knowledge, but not an expert. My workaround for now is that the mac mini has wired and wifi connections. The wired is set to use the static IP and the wifi points to the LAN side of the netgear router. It seems to work this way. I can see the microrendu and it works. I am pretty sure there is a way to create a route via software but not sure right now. The drawback for me with the static IP’s is that they are visible to the world and as such are susceptible to attack. My cable provider doesn’t allow any access to the cable modem settings and just leaves everything open. If someone else has thoughts, great. I will do more research here.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.