Migration from iTunes to Roon

I am trying to migrate from iTunes to Roon. I have some initial questions before I set things up.

1. I keep all music and iTunes library files on an external hard disk. It looks like Roon only searches the default iTunes library folder inside the user folder. How can I import the iTunes library on the external hard disk? Can I simply copy the xml file from where it is now to the default directory without any mess-up of file links etc?

2. Is it safe to keep the main Roon folder on the local hard disk? I mean, in case I upgrade the music server machine (while keeping the music files on external HD), will I be able to preserve all the custom settings and metadata? Should I rather set up the Roon folder on the external HD along with the music?

3. I need to keep iTunes in order to sync music with iPhone/iPad. How do I keep both (Roon/iTunes) libraries up to date when I buy new music? Should I do them twice each time I add new music?

4. Is there any upsampling option to play 16/44.1 or other hi-res files up to 32/384? Audirvana allows that.

5. Are all the metadata (album art, genres, etc.) stored with the file after custom edits? Or are they stored in the Roon library files? How can I ensure that all laborious manual edits are preserved?

Thanks. I am looking forward to exciting new experience.

It would be fantastic if Roon had an Red Book up sampling option for iTunes AAC files.

I am trying to migrate from iTunes to Roon. I have some initial questions before I set things up.

1. I keep all music and iTunes library files on an external hard disk. It looks like Roon only searches the default iTunes library folder inside the user folder. How can I import the iTunes library on the external hard disk? Can I simply copy the xml file from where it is now to the default directory without any mess-up of file links etc?

>Your entire library to include the .itl and .xml file should be located on the remote disk for this to work. Next, make an alias of that .xml file and place it inside a generic “iTunes” Labeled folder. Roon will find it and process it with the right file links.

1. Is it safe to keep the main Roon folder on the local hard disk? I mean, in case I upgrade the music server machine (while keeping the music files on external HD), will I be able to preserve all the custom settings and metadata? Should I rather set up the Roon folder on the external HD along with the music?

Yes, it’s safe. But I placed mine on the remote (USB Drive) storage. On the remote storage all your settings are retained there. You can do one, the other, both, it should work no matter what route you choose. You must copy the entire roon folder when moving from computer to computer.

1. I need to keep iTunes in order to sync music with iPhone/iPad. How do I keep both (Roon/iTunes) libraries up to date when I buy new music? Should I do them twice each time I add new music?

Add to iTunes, Roon will find and import. IF that is not what you want, just tell roon to watch the ~/iTunes Media/Music folder.

1. Is there any upsampling option to play 16/44.1 or other hi-res files up to 32/384? Audirvana allows that.

This has no proven benefits. Touchy topic, but this is modern confusion by numbers. Roon only increases bit depth to allow for normalization processing and you can’t hear the process, just the consistent volume from track to track. If you think you hear a difference by upsampling a 16/44.1 track, great.

1. Are all the metadata (album art, genres, etc.) stored with the file after custom edits? Or are they stored in the Roon library files? How can I ensure that all laborious manual edits are preserved?

Stored with Roon. If you want the Roon meta-goodness, export the files, the Roon data will be “printed” on the export files. export is ctrl-a>export>choose directory> wait a long time if your have a 1TB or larger library, like days…

Thanks. I am looking forward to exciting new experience.

Thanks for the kind reply. Just a few clarifying questions:

• Copying the entire Roon folder means the folder in /user/Library/Roon, right (for Mac OSX)? My Music/Roon folder is empty. I just need to copy the entire folder and paste in the same /user/Library/Roon when I change the main server computer?
  • If all the metadata are kept in the Roon folder, and all my music is stored in an external HD, if I change the HD later on (I will probably copy the entire music in an identical way) or rename the HD, how does Roon recognize the same song files and finds the customized metadata?

I have made a lot of progress in my learning in the past weeks. I am pleased to announce that I am completely hooked with Roon and before the end of my 60 day trial (Audioquest Jitterbug) I will be a lifetime member. In a separate post, I will share my experience of transitioning from Audirvana “iTunes Integrated mode” to Roon successfully.

I still need to learn about Genres and metadata management, but already I love what Roon can do.

Thanks for the wonderful product.