Migration from ubuntu to windows

I currently run Roon on a dedicated server with Ubuntu 20.4 LTS desktop. The transition from 1.7 to 1.8, which occurred almost in conjunction with my upgrade to the new version of ubuntu and the transition to an FTTH connection, caused anomalies and a very unstable system. I tried to investigate to find the source of the problem with no success, just as i’d asked for help from roon support without answer.
Among the various tests i’ve done, i’ve tried to transfer the core from the server to my notebook with windows 10. The situation seems better and some problems that were there with ubuntu, are not there on windows.
Following this test i would like to try to recreate the server using windows 10.
In particular i’ve read that there is Windows 10 Lite which should be much lighter than the standard one and generally used in companies.
Do you think it could be a good alternative for ubuntu replacement without having to use windows server?

1. If you are migrating from one system to another, you should reference the Migration Faq.

2. I don’t know of a Windows “lite”, but, there is Windows Enterprise LTSC, which is free of any of the Modern Programs, Windows Store, Cortana, etc. And it only receives security updates and never feature updates. I have been using running RoonServer on it for 5+ years and it has been completely stable.

1 Like

If it’s only going to be used as Roon server just install ROCK and be done with it

No zerotier, no roon extensions, no automatic suspension and wol, etc-etc…
Not interested in Rock

I tend to agree. My reason is that I like to monitor the hardware (temperature and drives come to mind) or networking; and want the ability to run diagnostics if I notice something amiss.

In that case regular ubuntu or debian server (not the desktop version) should work fine. I’ve been running Roon on Ubuntu server (both standalone and in a Docker container) for years without any issues

1 Like

Me too for 3 years. The problem is now.
I don’t know if the cause is Roon, or the new version of Ubuntu or the change of the connection in ftth.
I’m not getting support from Roon to figure out if it’s a software problem, so I’m doing some testing.
As said in the initial post, by transferring the core to my notebook that uses windows 10, it seems that many things are going better, so i wanted to try to recreate the server with a version of windows as light and essential as possible

Ubuntu 20.04 has some buggy network management “features” that cause endless issues independently of Roon, just check the relevant Ubuntu boards. I can’t remember now what I had to do, it was a while ago, but disabling NetworkManager cured all my woes. I’ve run 3 different 20.04 servers without trouble since.

1 Like

The problem with that is that even the stripped down cut down versions of Windows (W10AME for example) are still much more resource hungry than even regular ubuntu server not to mention the turbo lightweight stuff like ubuntu minimal or some of the container-oriented distros

I run Roon server on an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Server with the netplan implementation and it’s been stable as a…hmm…rock? I used to run 18.04 LTS and did an upgrade with zero issues. Same with Roon when I went from 1.7 to 1.8.

I use the same Ubuntu server to manage backups from all the computers in my home as well as Roon. Again, everything is super stable. It’s rack mounted in a network closet far from the listening room.

@Daniele_Piancastelli: If you want to stay on Ubuntu, I too would recommend installing the plain Server version and using netplan to run the network services.

2 Likes