Mislabeling of composers

Hi
I have a recording of Herbert Bloomstadt conducting Hindemith. For some reason it shows up among my Beethoven albums. How do I eliminate it from my Beethoven collection?

Have you checked that the metadata in the track files is correct?

Thanks for the suggestion. Turns out that one of the movements is titled as a paraphrase of a Beethoven march, which must explain why an album of Hindemith turns up in a search for Beethoven.

1 Like

This one?

I wouldn’t have thought that a mere track title would cause a Composer credit to be assigned to Beethoven. Are you sure that the track does not have a specific composer credit in its metadata?

Shows up where?

Are you using Roon’s search functionality or going to the Beethoven page?

1 Like

When I do a search for Beethoven, Roon lists my Beethoven albums: symphonies, sonatas, etc. But it also lists Herbert Bloomstadt’s Decca recording of Hindemith performed by the SFSO. How do I access the album’s metadata?

Is this a downloaded album (i.e. a local copy in Roon’s Watched Folder) or from a streamed service (e.g. Tidal or Qobuz)?

Er, I thought that Qobuz didn’t have this recording, because I was looking for “Herbert Bloomstadt”. It turns out you mean Herbert Blomstedt - and I suspect that you mean the recording not of the SFSO, but Gewandhausorchester Leipzig.

Qobuz does have this:

And the track credits for the second movement of Symphonia Serena seem OK to me:

And I’m not seeing this album listed in the Beethoven albums in my collection (I have added this 3 disc album to my collection to test).

1 Like

You are absolutely right. I misspelled the conductor’s name and wrongly identified the orchestra. Blomstedt had a long relationship with the Gewandhausorchester. I have other recording where he conducts the SFSO. Is it possible that Roon’s algorithm seized on the reference to Beethoven in the track listing in assigning the album to Beethoven? The album shows up when I search for Hindemith.By the way, I have an obsolescent MacPro running iTunes. Thank you for your attention to my query.

That makes sense from musicological perspective as Hindemith has emphasized himself that a part of movement No.2 is a paraphrase on a theme by Beethoven, actually a march.

As in common metadata and tag rules there is no way to differentiate a composer of a piece from the original composer of themes therein, both are in many cases equally assigned as composers. Example:

So in order to offer all references that make sense, I think it is fine to have the Hindemith recording listed as ´composed by Beethoven´ even if it might look weird.

As I said earlier, I think this is extremely unlikely. If it were the case, then tracks such as “Roll over, Beethoven” should also get assigned to him as composer.

It’s almost certainly a composer credit in the track metadata. What is the source? iTunes?