Missing Basic Features

Could not say it any better, specially the user experience on a 24" 4k monitor vs Iphone. In my opinion they are not the same thing. What if Adobe Photoshop was trying to make an app that looks and works exactly the same on an Iphone than it does on a 32" monitor? Well, that is exactly what Roon is trying to do.

@gduffield
Thanks George. :smiley:

Not worried about lack of vertical scrolling, horizontal scrolling is like reading a book. But other items on the list of bust things that are not UI choice but software deliverables that don’t work and that is frustrating.

Just joined. I realized adding missing artwork to albums takes a minimum of 6 clicks and since Roon doesn’t want to do the work I have to type it into a search engine, yes type, because I can’t select text from the screen. I can’t drag and drop images and from what I understand, I can’t use the identify album feature for an album cover without messing up the track names even though it’s the right album cover.

2 Likes

I just cannot understand why text isn’t selectable & that large editing screen just sits in the middle of the screen without a means to move it as you would any window on your computer. Drives me nuts…

So the more music you have and therefore the likelihood the need to edit, the more infuriating it becomes. It’s like something from the era of the floppy disc (maybe prior) & not 2020.

Unfortunately, this comes up in many a thread and similarly assume it’s been a feature request. Of course, there is no comment from the devs (as they don’t comment on future developments), so all in all any discussion is amongst users and therefore a bit futile…

Akin to talking to a brick wall (not meaning us users).

Yup…that would definitely be a basic missing feature!

5 Likes

This and that you cannot rate within Roon a song from 0 to 5 stars (And afterwards use track ratings for playlists purposes)

6 Likes

Yes yes yes yes. Me too.

1 Like

This question gets asked every time someone says something critical about Roon. Should we remain silent because every other product is equally flawed? I use it because for my requirements it’s the best there is, but it doesn’t mean I don’t think that some parts of it are poor or that new features are prioritised wrongly. It’s not the job of customers to come to a product’s defence when someone criticises it or to belittle them when they haven’t thought of a convoluted workaround that compensates for one of its shortcomings. $699.99 gives me the right to say whatever the cluck I like about Roon, as long as I am respectful of others and constructive in my opinions.

21 Likes

I come to these threads to find out if there ARE any good alternatives to Roon. I’m going yearly to check it out and did some due diligence before settling on Roon, but I’m always looking for other perspectives. Roon UI certainly has a lot of issues and won’t work well for everybody (horizontal scrolling is satanic). The closest and most seamless experience for me and my 6 endpoints in my house was iTunes. When not at work, I live in the apple ecosystem.

iTunes is a mess and always has been. It got really bad when they cobbled a store into my slim music player. It’s a mess on the mac, and absolutely horrible on a windows machine. linux is just SOL. But it has a nice integrated airplay solution that would work with all my endpoints. 99.8% of my music is 44.1 redbook so airplay works well for me. But it gets flaky with computer sleep etc. Apple music is also well integrated, but the apple music recommendations are amazingly retarded, they have access to my entire library and still recommends something that is massively out of character with what I listen to. “No, apple, I don’t want to listen to the new Beyonce album!”

Jriver on the mac has a user interface that is so bad it should be a war crime. It doesn’t seem like it wants to push music out to any remote endpoints. Given what a mess the UI is and the fact that it seems to want me to pull music rather than push it or play locally, I bailed on it. It reminds me of an offshoot of winamp. Hard NO on that one…

Sheldon

2 Likes

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head about the reasons behind some of the complaints I’m reading here (and elsewhere), and I think this is definitely something worth addressing (whereas not all ‘feature requests’ are). It’s principally a need for better communication and managing user expectations.

Let’s just step back for a second here and give ourselves a reality check. If we were instead talking about a product from a major ‘household name’ brand behind this product, no one in their right mind would realistically expect they had a ‘right’ to demand the inclusion of any new feature. Perhaps with the exception of a company like Fuji who actively improve their existing products with regular firmware updates/features and pride themselves on listening to customers and rewarding loyalty, most major brands just offer you their product ‘as is’ and then expect you to buy another one when they produce an improved version or pay for an upgrade! Ok, so we’re talking about a software based product, so it’s slightly different, but no one realistically ‘expects’ Apple will listen to all their new feature requests and you just count yourself lucky if they do.

Even in the early days of Sonos, whilst there was regularly new features added, and an active community forum this was never more than a place to find technical help or talk about new ideas in the hope they might be adopted. You might be a loyal customer and a stakeholder in the whole product development process, but you don’t “own” the product in the sense that you have a right to take it in what ever direction you want and expect that it will happen because you ask. Even if you view a product as a service you pay for each month it’s not like this. Does anyone tell Netflix what movies to show or features to add? Yet all good businesses should listen and perhaps even consult (which is why you have this forum), but that’s not the same as expecting to get what you ask for.

Let’s face it, just because “a lot” of people want the same thing doesn’t mean that everyone wants or needs it, or that it’s even possible or wouldn’t create issues none of us have even considered, or that it is inconsistent with longer term objectives for product development. Sadly you simply cannot please everyone. But what you can (and should) do is communicate with customers to make sure (a) they feel listened to, and (b) understand why sometimes something can’t or won’t happen, or if it can or will then when and where this figures in future plans and might come to fruition.

To say you want a particular feature, or a list of long standing, popular requests fulfilled is one thing, but to just say that Roon lacks “basic features” is simply not true (even if you think the features you want are basic). It’s also not true to describe Roon as ‘just’ an interface for playing your music, when the transcoding and other functionality under the lid does so much more than this to ensure you receive the optimum quality of music available for each listening device for any given source. Look I’m sorry to hear some people are unhappy but it would be more constructive to focus on improving the dialogue with Roon about why specific features haven’t been adopted (or adopted yet) and to understand their future plans. That way at least everyone would understand and could then decide if they want to continue using Roon over other alternatives. Personally I’m very, very pleased with it.

11 Likes

Great post.

If Roon had a sleep timer I could delete all my other music player apps, but since it doesn’t, I must still use BubbleUPNP every day…

1 Like

Core competence in Roon UI/UX.

2 Likes

The only way to be happy with Roon is to make peace with the fact that you should have no expectation other than to continue to be frustrated and disappointed.

3 Likes

These things are all things that get you on the playing field, they are not differentiators. It’s great that Roon has RAAT if you have a compatible endpoint because it offers some unique capabilities and makes integration easier, but it’s not a game changer - most people do not have Roon Ready devices, and they work just as well under Roon as they do with Volumio etc.

Hi,
Best post in this Thread! Nothing more to say.
RĂźdiger

Because Roon is not a web page it is a generated image just like a video game.

1 Like

This was a game changer for me. When I started looking at Roon, I didn’t know my Oppo 203 was a Roon ready device. When I discovered that, I immediately subscribed to Roon. Problem solved.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

I agree that the volume control being buried below a few clicks on a phone or iPad is a major downside of this platform. So damned basic it’s like they have an inside joke at Roon that they’re never going to fix it.

4 Likes