Missing Basic Features

So, is the Roon team a missing basic feature?

1 Like

Or missing a basic feature?

Sheā€™ll be in the next release! Along with some more new names. :eyes:

4 Likes

Ah! A Roon dev entered the chatā€¦now we will finally get some proper answers to all of the above! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thatā€™s also a myth. Many quality ideas/ requests have been made and roundly ignored. Itā€™d be more accurate to say they only pay attention to ideas that interest them.

4 Likes

Well, of course.

Now wouldnā€™t it be nice if they actually had some quality ideasā€¦

2 Likes

Sometimes. Sometimes not. I flagged one months ago now which bugs me (no pun intended) on a daily basis. Chased several times with no response. Bit poor, that, in my view.

2 Likes

Good joke! There are douzends of unfixed reported bugs. Bug fixing is a pretty low priority at Roon.

Not really they fixed plenty I have flagged and many others. Not all can be fixed instantly and require timing with other releases. It not half as buggy as you say. See how many updates Plex gets for bug fixes , there QA is one of the worst out there and they add more every release. They still cant cast 5.1 from mobile either for over 2 years when it used to work. Not all roses in this server/software game.

Bugs and bug fixes is something different than missing features.

Nope, if something doesnā€™t work itā€™s missing or a half-assed implementation.

Personally, Iā€™m grateful you are paying for the features Iā€™m enjoying. Whether you like them or not.
Thank you George!
(First v1.7 release)

Feature Applies to Roon users that stream and may or may not have local content Applies to Roon users that have no streaming service hooked up
NRFY :white_check_mark:
RFY :white_check_mark:
Artist Play and Composer Play :white_check_mark:
RoonTag :white_check_mark:
File Tag Credit Improvements :white_check_mark:
File Tag Credits: Expanded format and file tag support :white_check_mark:
Comments Field :white_check_mark:
Search :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Classical ui cleanups :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Sort performances By Popularity :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Multi-level work parts :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Improved Credits Metadata :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Live Radio Directory :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Streaming Optimizations :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Android Audio :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Performance improvements on Roon OS :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:
Zone Icons :white_check_mark: :white_check_mark:

A bug is a feature that doesnā€™t work as designed and implemented. A missing feature is something that has not been implemented. These are two very different things.

Hi Stephen,

Nothing more to add to your eloquent comments - indeed much of my thoughts youā€™ve stated very well. Not to mention Iā€™ve left my reading glasses in the classroom (havenā€™t done that before) & the screen is a blur. :smiley:

Other thanā€¦I believe your number sleuthing to be fairly accurate (as far as Iā€™m aware) & you could add to that some mods who I assume arenā€™t staff. However, I donā€™t read anything into the level of actual staff; it is what the business deems appropriate and I certainly take that on face value. So, implementation of upgrades, bug fixes et.al. I assume will occur in a reasonable time.

Exactly what Iā€™ve been sayingā€¦we can discuss as much as we please, but without Roonā€™s input, itā€™s akin to talking to a brick wall. Other than the small number of disgruntled users who return to say they wonā€™t be renewing, (often with loud voices), the overwhelming majority here only want to see Roon succeed and grow accordingly, which naturally includes software improvements.

Yes, Roon can & likely should, as per your comments (and mine previously), share some details of their intended plans. Aside from the benefits, it will provide to current and perhaps future users, it will also endear the business to its users. And that I believe should not be underestimated.

Cheers.

(Looks like I did add more to your eloquent comments :upside_down_face:)

This is pretty much all I want fixed. Just the ability to use star ratings on individual songs, which can then be used for playlists, like in iTunes. People, a lot of people, have asked for this software or upvoted it starting 5 years ago! 5 years?! Of course I made a request again but have absolutely no faith that it will get done anytime soon.

3 Likes

Yes of courseā€¦thatā€™s because Roon devs choose not to comment. So as per this thread and many others, Roon users lose faith in the product on the basis of a team decision to remain silent.

Notwithstanding, youā€™re a current subscriber & time will tell whether you renew based on your 7 month experience or let it slide. And I wonder what difference it would really make to users if Roon said something like ā€œAt this point in time we have no plans to implement such a feature.ā€

So nothing is said instead & conversations persist amongst users, but perhaps not at all within the Roon development team.

By contrast, I often wonder what it takes to develop/include certain features. Given Iā€™m not a software developer some requests I read about it appears not such a great deal of effort, others (such as editable text) itā€™s simply not possible as Roon imports bios etc as images not text.

Had it not been for this thread, Iā€™d not have known it was not possible, certainly not a dealbreaker for me, a pity yes, just the way it goes, unfortunately. :smiley:

Iā€™m not aware of any software company that responds to feature request from customers or who publishes their product development plans in advance. Maybe there are some that Iā€™m not aware of.

My philosophy has not changed. Buy a product based on what it is and what it does. If it doesnā€™t do what you want, donā€™t buy it.

Iā€™m sure Roon evaluates all feature request and either includes them somewhere in their product development roadmap or rejects them for various reasons. Personally, I donā€™t want to pay more for Roon to pay someone to respond to customer feature request.

4 Likes

Hey Jim,

I donā€™t think the bulk of people here are saying they donā€™t want to subscribe or buy Roon; itā€™s more of a case of discussing how theyā€™d like to see Roon growā€¦
After all, growth can only be good for Roon as it is for its customers.

In regard to paying more for responses to feature requests that is certainly jumping the gun. Thereā€™s no discussion here whatsoever that would be the case, nor is there an expectation that somebody should be hired to respond wholly to feature requests.

It seems that customers get irked when they hear nothing for years, despite requests not just from them, but many others. Hence my thoughts that some form of announcements from time to time by Roon developers would go a long way to avoid disgruntled customers.

Cheers.

1 Like

I doubt Roon has employees sitting around doing nothing. I suspect they all have full time jobs. Anytime you add another significant activity, you need resources. There is no free lunch. And yes, there are plenty of people who threaten to drop Roon because of some feature it doesnā€™t have.

Iā€™m all in favor of posting good ideas in the Feature Request catagory. I donā€™t support constant complaining because it doesnā€™t get implemented or you donā€™t get a response from Roon for every request.