Missing Bookmarks (and editing questions)

So far so good on the test bookmark.

However, a new tag I created has disappeared. I will attempt to recreate the problem and send logs.

Here is a screenshot of a custom tag added to a composer on 6:41 central time 7/22.

I’ll forward log if/when it disappears.

Here is a snapshot of a tag I created and some artists assigned that tag.

Ok. 2 days later, 2 composers have mysteriously become disassociated with the tag. The tag itself remains.

I suspect this is related to the issues I have been having Logs have been uploaded under junk@danpetit.com20170725.zip.

Thanks

Anticipating you’ll want this version of the screen as well:

Note that Gerald English was one of the artists I fixed naming order on. He has since reverted to original (incorrect) order as Gerald English, sorted under the Gs not the Es.:

All of this should be in the logs…

Hi @Dan_Petit ---- Thank you for the follow up and the continued feedback, both are very appreciated.

All materials have been received and have been attached to your report, which is currently with our tech team who are evaluating this issue. Once I have some feedback I will follow up with you promptly.

-Eric

Hi, @Dan_Petit, coul you please confirm that bookmarks are still ok?

Sorry for incovenience here, but could you please do the same test with Albums as you did with Composers?
And may I also ask you to give us what exactly steps did you perform while making a test TAG with composers before?

Thanks!

Ivan

@Ivan Thanks for the note. Unfortunately, I can’t tell. My Roon remote hasn’t been able to connect to the server for several days - it just hangs on connecting to core page. Both computers can see one another on the network, and this was working pretty well in the past. I don’t know what has changed.

I won’t have time to dig further for a little while.

What I can tell you now is creating a tag is a simple process - pretty brainless and basically impossible to screw up. I went to the tags section of the screen and created a new tag. I then added the composers to the tag, which as you can see from the screenshot worked fine. No offense, but if you can’t track what I did from the logs after being given clear screenshots of the behavior, you need to enrich your logs.

I’m not trying to be persnickety, but this hasn’t been the best support experience, especially for such an expensive bit of software. Room has a lot of potential (and as a software architect with a ton of experience, that’s not something I say lightly), but since it clearly doesn’t work consistently, I think I’m going to bail and go back to JRiver.

It’s like the really smoking hot girlfriend you really want to like, but has too many bad habits to put up with her. Sorry.

Dan

I appreciate the feedback here Dan, and you should know that we’ve never seen a report like this – either there’s a bug triggered by some set of steps that only you are doing (which seems unlikely, obviously) or there’s something about your environment that’s different from everyone else’s. We need to figure out why this is only happening to you, and then I’m 100% confident we can reproduce the issue in house and resolve it.

Unfortunately, the symptoms you’re describing are pointing in a few different directions. Some of the missing edits point to instability in storage – there are certain sequences of events where, if Roon is repeatedly seeing storage coming and going and seeing multiple copies of the same files, Roon could become confused about which version of a file the edits were applied to.

That isn’t something I’ve ever seen happen under regular day-to-day conditions, although we have seen somewhat similar issues when a collection is being moved to a new storage device, and our migration instructions aren’t followed. I don’t think that case applies here, but I’m mentioning it in case there’s something unique about your storage configuration.

Bookmarks, on the other hand, have nothing to do with the content in your library, and I’m not aware of any reasons they might go missing, or any reports of that happening.

So, we’ll be discussing your case this week, and trying to come up with some possible reasons for the issues you’re describing – for now, all I can assure you of is that we’ll stick with it until we get things stable. Just wanted to be clear that while we’ve already done some testing to try and reproduce what you’re describing, for the moment we’ll need to keep working at this until we figure out a way to reproduce this in house. We appreciate your patience.

@mike Thanks for the note. I do understand the difficulty in tracking down one-off problems and am willing to help troubleshooting as much as I can. I’ve just spent more time trying to get it to work than I have enjoying the product. I’m past the 30 days, so I own it now :-).

Trying to resolve this through the chat forum is slowing us both down. I would recommend we set aside a 1/2 hr to work over the phone together.

I’m also thinking about reimaging my roon server and starting over with the installation. This can give us an opportunity to track every bit of the configuration process. Let me know if this is something you want to explore.

Hey @Dan_Petit – we discussed this again today and for the moment I wanted to focus on this:

I’d like to confirm that these issues are reproducible without network storage configured.

Would it be possible to copy some content to the local storage on the Windows machine, and confirm whether any of these lost edits/tags occur with network storage out of the equation?

As a general rule we don’t do phone support – discussing the issue here ensures our developers can keep an eye on the issue and give feedback as things progress. We’ve found that issues are actually resolved much faster this way, particularly when they require iterative troubleshooting.

Like I mentioned previously, we’ll keep at it until this is resolved, and I’m confident we can figure out why your system is behaving differently from everyone else. Thanks again for your patience!

@mike
Mike -
Sorry I wasn’t clear in my original post. The Roon server is only accessing data from its local hard drive. So it’s already configured like you asked.

The process is like this:

1. I rip music and manage tags with tools on my gaming rig. The “master” data is stored here.
  2. I have a script that copies this data to a NAS share when it changes.
  3. The NAS copies the data to the cloud for safe keeping.
  4. My roon server uses a sync tool to pull data from the NAS to the local hard drive on the server when it changes. This let’s me keep all the copies in sync automatically. This fires when files change on the NAS or when files are added.
  5. The roon server is configured to watch its local drive only - it doesn’t know anything about the NAS.

I hope this is clear. Let me know if further questions

Hey Dan – that all makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

Since the symptoms here point to a situation where Roon is tracking multiple copies of the same audio content at the same time, I’m wondering if something about how you’re syncing changes is confusing Roon. As I mentioned, the symptoms here are really uncommon, and while the way you’re syncing files here makes sense, it is reasonably novel as well.

I’m wondering if you could try disabling this syncing, or running Roon with only a subset of files that are not actively being synced this way – it would be a really helpful data point to know whether that makes any difference for the missing edits you’re describing.

Let me know what you think, and we’ll be discussing the bookmarks issue in house today or tomorrow – we will be in touch about those symptoms as well. Appreciate your patience here Dan.

@mike
Agreed all around. I’m happy to disable and see how things go.
However, none of my Roon remote can contact core for the last week or so. Since there no ui on core, I can’t really even begin to troubleshoot. Network connectivity seems fine (core can see remotes on the network and remotes can see core), and it was working fine.
My thought was to reinstall core. Thoughts?

Hi @Dan_Petit ---- Saw your post here and wanted to touch base. We can definitely help diagnose what could be causing your remotes to not be able to connect with your core machine :microscope:

Moving forward, to help aide in my understanding of this behavior may I very kindly ask you for the following:

1. Please verify which devices you are noticing this behavior with. Are they the remotes mentioned in your earlier post?

Main remote: Surface Pro Running latest Win 10 64-bit. i5-3317U, 4GB Ram. Runs Roon 1.3 (build 234) 32-bit…

Secondary remote on my gaming rig: i7-6700K (OC), 16 GB Ram. Win 10 x64. GeForce 950, 256 GB SSD, 4 TB HD. It’s a pretty pimped out box. Runs Roon 1.3 (build 234) - 64bit

1. Please describe your network configuration/topology, as well as providing insight into any networking hardware you are implementing (i.e router, switches, repeaters, extenders, etc). I want to have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating and the tools being used to make those connections possible.

2. Has anything changed in your setup since making this observation?

3. Since noticing this behavior have you tried reinstalling the application on the mentioned remote devices?

4. Have you tried power cycling ALL of your equipment (this would include any networking hardware as well) to see if a stable connection is reestablished?

-Eric

1. Yes - it is both of those remotes
  2. internet in from cable modem (Arris) to a netgear orbis router. Router wired to 24 port Netgear switch. Server and secondary remote are wired to the switch. primary remote connect wirelessly through the router.
  3. No. The full network is new (about 3 weeks - replaced after lightning destroy my previous setup). However, things were working fine with this setup until about a week ago.
  4. yes - no luck
  5. yes, several times. As I mentioned the PCs can all see each other.

I just reinstalled the server (using a full blown installation of Roon rather than just the core this time). I was able to reestablish connectivity with the core from the remotes, so whatever it was, server reinstallation worked.

I restored from last backup, taken at 2:00 am 7/27.

All bookmarks and tags are still there. It also looks like the items I have tagged are still there:

I will disable the server-side sync from my NAS and monitor.

Dan

Hi @Dan_Petit ---- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested feedback :thumbsup:

I am pleased to hear that you have been able to get the remotes to reconnect with the core, excellent work! Please do keep us posted on how things are holding with the “server-side sync” disabled.

-Eric

So far so good. I have added 5 more items to the “fixed name” tag I created. The tag it still there, all items still tagged and all names still in the right order.

Note I also turned of them nightly reboot on the server. Not sure this had anything to do with it, nut I wanted to be sure.

@mike @Eric I think I may have found the smoking gun, or at least some good evidence of how the problems are happening. Your hunch of isolating out the Synology NAS sync was probably right. The Cloud Drive Sync service from Synology syncs my Roon core server’s local music folder with an archive on the NAS. This is a one-way sync: download only.

To do the syncing, Cloud Drive Sync creates a hidden folder “.SynologyWork” or something like that (beginning with a “.”). I am assuming it copies files here during its sync process. I know it is putting things there even when the sync doesn’t have any work to do because the folder dates keep changing.

It could be that Roon is somehow responding to this working folder and getting confused, since it is located in the same directory as my music (and there is no way to change this location in the syncing app that I can find).

The strange thing is that the problems I have had with Roon happen even when I didn’t change or add music and everything was thoroughly in sync. I’m not 100% sure what it could be writing to that hidden folder when there is no work to do, but it is doing something.

So not a smoking gun for sure, but a path to explore. Not sure if you guys has a synology NAS to test this theory against, but I suspect you could have an option where Roon ignores music in hidden folders.

Everything has been good since deactivating the sync - getting more use out of Roon now than ever.

Dan

Hello @Dan_Petit,

Thanks for the theory, we actually do have an option to ignore folders and I suggest you to add that folder to the list of ignored folders. Here is how you can do this:

1. Open Storage page in Settings
  2. Press on 3dots buttons in front of your watched folder
  3. Press Edit from the context menu
  4. At the very bottom of the Edit Storage Location window you will find section with the name Ignored Paths, just add the name of the folder (including dot, if name has it) into the input field
  5. Press Save

Regards,
Vova

2 Likes