MIssing Playlists since ROCK Migration

Background - due to tech issue i have lost a lot of the stored files in my library in the last year, i’ve also had a lot of frustrations with Roon being unresonsive so after repurchasing some of my missing music i thougth i would take the opportunity to run a new instance on a higher specification NUC but now i seem to be missing a number of playlists? These would be the ones i created in Roon.

The original ROCK install has been written over… my last dropbox back appears to be friom November…but i didnt think any of this was relevant as i did a manual back up by copying all the files from the “Roon Server” folder on the original ROCK, i was under the impression playlists are embedded in some of these files but having copied them over to the new ROCK it doesnt have them all?

Is there anywhere i can find the missing playlists?

The proper method is to do a database backup and then restore on the new machine. Just copying the files is not recommended. It might not work and might result in corruption.

1 Like

Thank you for your promt reply … I did see that but it appears that the various options that used to exist to back up to alternative locations has been simplified to push everyone to use dropbox - i couldnt find how to “map” from the client i was using to get a local back up so i had no choice - i do feel that the back up options available via the app have been reduced - perhaps ive missed something? - i did search the forum to get some answers and found a number of threads saying the same thing?

I have now restored a back up from October so i have managed to rescue some playlists so thats a bit of a relief … so now i am using an old database is there any risk of inheriting some of the “issues” i had before? should i clean up the old database? With all the issues i have had and time spent trying to start again i am keen to make sure i start with as clean a slate as possible :slight_smile:

I plan to export the playlists via soundiiz into Qubuz now so i have a back up of them but moving forwards will there be easier ways to back up files to another computer on the networks or a external disc? relying on a limited capacity dropbox account seems to be another way of limiting choice?

Any guidance on the best way to move forward woudl be most welcome :slight_smile:

Not at home so my typing on the phone is limited. All the backup options are the same as has been. I personally use a usb hdd plugged into the server, easiest and imho best way. But, you can use a network share as a backup location, read the Faq on backing up for more info.

@LittleLionCub, this is the guide @Rugby mentioned.

1 Like

Plus:

Thank you but all of this would be wonderful if it worked - there are a number of things in this article that dont appear to be current, also worth noting that the recommendation is to NOT restore back up from dropbox yet only really allows dropbox as an easy to find option!

I backed up and copied the database and it doesnt work with playlists i created in Roon? it brought all other infor back in but nbot playlists i created ion Roon which is one of the points of it.

May i suggest some easy to understan article on how to select other options in the back up menu, i found the help article unhelpful so didnt bother with backups as dropbox could only hold 1 back up - i am sure in a previous version i was able to select back up folders fairly easily, thats not the case anymore.

I am back to some kind of normality now so thank you all for your input.

The best option is to use an external hard drive to backup. All other options come in second for ease of use, stability, mobility, etc.

The next is to use network storage, a NAS, or a Shared Directory on another computer running on the network. In both cases you would setup the share directory as the target for the backup very similar to setting up a share for watched music. The specifics differ depending on the computer on the other end but… assuming MAC, you’d follow the instructions here “https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/faq-how-do-i-create-a-shared-folder-on-mac-and-add-it-as-a-watched-folder-in-roon#Accessing_Share_Settings_on_the_Mac”, but, during the backup setup as a target directory.

For a manual backup, Settings, Backup, Backup Now - Backup, which brings up a “Select Location” screen.
Capture

This brings up the “Choose Folder to Backup UP To” screen. In the lower right, you’d select “+Add Network Share”, and then follow the directions in the link above. Remember to setup the Share correctly for your Operating System prior to this step.

But, to go back to the start, using a USB attached Hard Drive is the easiest method. Plug it in. Choose it as the destination. Backup. Plug it into the new machine, Choose Find Backups, point the backup location to the external hard drive. It should then find the backup and then Restore.

Dropbox is never a good idea for backups. It is too long to restore directly and because the backup consists of tens of thousands of small files, the potential for issues is huge.