MOCK - Tell us what strange gear you've installed ROCK on!

Did it!

I put ROCK on a NUC like “Mini-PC” from eglobaltech.cn. It is basically a standard Intel Kaby Lake NUC PC without fan with some 16GB RAM, and two 512 SSD with the American Megatrend BIOS and an aluminium alloy case. I didn’t find the UEFI BIOS settings so left the BIOS untouched. I have 10 SONOS speakers all around the house, 2 Apple TV 4, 1 Bluesound Powernode2 connected via LAN via HP Aruba 2920 POE Switch connected to the NUC. All the internet, router, networking / NAS / NUC is in a rack in the basement.

The first installation of ROCK worked out well (less than 30 seconds) by booting from USB, I added the libraries from the NAS (30 seconds) once Rock was up, added Tidal (1 minute) and added the radio stations (10min). The scanning/indexing of the albums took some time (33k titles) and the iOS/PC Roon UI lost connections during that time initally.

Having said this the experience to setup was straightforward. Most importantly the establishment of the connection from the iOS UI to the Roon Rock is now faster for all users than with the previous Win10/RoonServer setup on the same box! Well worth the (not so demanding) tinkering in my case!

3 Likes