MOCK - Tell us what strange gear you've installed ROCK on!

I run ROCK on a supported 5th generation NUC. It is silent and safe and doesn’t miss a beat. Boring! So I just put the finishing touches on a MOCK build that breaths a little hotter than my NUC or indeed any other! Processor is an i78700 on an ASRock H310M-ITX/ac. This has 8gb of RAM and 128gb NVMe M2 memory. This is housed a Streamcom FC8OD with passive cooling and powered by a 160 watt nanoPSU. The only bios adjustments were to correct the time and alter the boot priority and then I loaded ROCK. All good until it came to assigning an IP then nothing. It turns out that the Intel gigabit Ethernet chipset is ‘new’ by Linux standards so there isn’t much support out there. So I ordered a USB3 to gigabit Ethernet adaptor and when it arrived plugged it in and fired up the box. Moments later it presented me with an IP and I have a working box good for a few years! It would be a bonus if the Ethernet port can be persuaded to work in ROCK but for now I am happy. The aim will be to experiment with convolution which I suspect my i5 build may struggle with a little.

3 Likes