Mojo connection to iPhone 12 lightning port

Hi there,

I’m about to buy a Chord Mojo 2 for my iPhone 12 which of course just has a lightning port.

I’ve read that I need to purchase an Apple Lightning to USB (camera kit) adapter. However on Amazon I’ve seen MFI certified Lighting to USB-C cables.

My question is can I use one of these MFI certified Lightning to USB-C cables to directly plug into the Mojo 2’s USB-C port? I think it would be a much wider setup with one less interconnect.

Thanks for any advice
Nicko

My experience with the original Mojo and a certified OTG micro USB to Lightning cable was disappointing, and I ended up buying the Camera Adapter.

However, there appears to be much more choice with USB C, so I would give it a go, but use a familiar brand if possible. Nowadays I use a Poly.

1 Like

Nick, as I recall a normal cable like this will not work with the iPhone. You need an OTG (on the go) type Lightning to USB cable. I am no expert on OTG, so you may have to look into it. I bought the one below based on one of Darko’s posts and it works for me with the Mojo. This one is from China so it took a bit of time, but I see some others out there now. [Fixed the link.]

Fiio LT-LT1 Type-C to Lightning OTG Cable for iOS Connect BTR5 BTR3K — HiFiGo

1 Like

Thanks Martin for the quick response.

1 Like

Thanks Jed, I’ll take a look at that link.

I have the Mojo 1 and it does not need the CCK when connecting to an iPhone X, 12, SE or iPad.

It does however need the CCK when connecting to my iPhone 13.

All are one the latest firmware so have no idea what makes the 13 not accept a connection without the CCK. Have w ticket open with Apple and they’re looking into it.

I know you asked about Lightning to UBC C, but thought I should share my experience.

My gut feeling tells me you’ll be fine without the CCK as long as you get an OTG cable meant for data transfer.

Let us know :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have lightning to USB C cable, but it’s just power cable. It was bought from Apple and doesn’t work with Mojo 2.

That doesn’t mean there isn’t a lightning to USB-C cable that would work, but I believe you need the camera kit adapter.

I have the camera kit adapter and it’s works fine.

I have iPhone 8, maybe other versions work differently.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on this Ian.

1 Like

Apple lightning to USB C cable DOES NOT work with my iPhone 11 Pro Max and Mojo 2. I use the Apple camera adapter.

You need a special type of cable for that connection to work, in addition to the FiiO one already mentioned, ddHifi also make suitable ones. I have this one myself for connecting iPhoneX to Mojo2: ddHifi MFi06S | FiiO-Shop (also sold elsewhere in case you’re not located in EU)

What type of cable are you using Jim? Is it OTG and for data transfer?

I just tried my iPhone 11 Pro Max charger cable. I don’t have any other cable with lightning on one end and USB C on the other.

That one won’t work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is there something on Amazon that will work?

Let me check.

1 Like

Something like this.

mytysun USB C to Lightning Cable Short, [MFi Certified-0.13M] Type C Fast Charging Data Sync Lightning Cable Compatible with iPhone 13 Pro/13/12 Pro/12/12Mini/11/11 Pro/X/XS/XR/iPad Air (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08NJVXYVN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_NZA5T0D29NAYAFJ00E5X

Needs to be OTG, Mfi certified and capable of data transfer. Charging only won’t work as far as I am concerned.

Like I said, my Mojo 1 works without the CCK with any iPhone up to the 13. Annoyingly :slight_smile:

Thanks. I ordered what looks like the same thing with a different brand name for Amazon US.

1 Like

Good luck and let me know if it works :crossed_fingers:t2:You can always return it if it does not.

1 Like

Jim, the advert for this talks a lot about power and does not mention OTG, unless I missed it somewhere. I have my doubts, and yes, let us know if it works. Thanks.

It talks about data transfer rates. It’s the same as RBO referenced, just a different brand name. If it doesn’t work, I’ll drop it off at the UPS Store two blocks from my house. Amazon makes it incredibly easy to return things.

EDIT: Cable did not work with my iPhone 11 Pro Max. It’s on the way back to Amazon. I’ll continue to use the Apple camera adapter. Not a problem with iPhone in one pocket and Mojo 2 in the other.

1 Like