Moon North Gear

Moon North Gear Uncertified? Trying to get some of the new North Gear to run Roon but it shows up in my remote under audio devices but says uncertified. Will certification come from a Roon update or a SimAudio update?

Generally speaking, for any vendor who wants their device to be certified as Roon Ready, that device must be submitted to Roon Labs and must follow the design constraints that Roon deems necessary for such a certification.

So unless the Moon North Gear is already in house, then it’s SimAudio’s first step.

Judging by the Moon North Gear web site, it doesn’t look like SimAudio has any intention of making their devices Roon Ready.

The manual for the 791p lists it is as roon ready and even uses roon logo and TM symbol. So, i see them as having every intent of being roon ready since all of their other mind units are roon ready.

Great, you should be ok, eventually. Nice kit, BTW.

The web site mentions nothing about Roon, AFAIK.

As far as what the manual says, I’ve noticed that vendors have a habit of calling Roon Ready before Roon does.

As an answer to your original question, this is still true -

If the certification process hasn’t already started, you might be better served by asking SimAudio about Roon Ready. Roon doesn’t usually comment on any certification process.

1 Like

Thanks. I am still curious what is the final push firmware from manufacturer or a push from Roon with a whitelist of devices. Just curious how the process works.

Zero inside info on how Roon certification works, but I’ve been on the forum for a long time, so this is what I think happens……

First a vendor must submit a device to Roon for certification. Roon tests said device to make sure it follows all the parameters that Roon deems necessary. Some times, if the device doesn’t follow Roon’s rules, there may be multiple back and forths between Roon and the vendor until either the vendor modifies their software to Roon’s satisfaction or gives up. (I’ve witnessed both outcomes (second hand of course)).

So, if it’s in Roon’s certification process, then it’s on them to communicate with the vendor. If the vendor needs to modify their software, then the next step is on them. Etc.,etc…

Many vendors prematurely advertise Roon Ready and some never accomplish that. If my memory was better, I could name a specific vendor that never did get Roon Ready.

In your case, I am guessing that the manual content was optimistically written ahead of time and that the web site will be updated in due time.

SimAudio might be more communicative, but Roon can be quite mysterious about the whole process.

This whole conversation assumes that your device is uncertified because of this whole process. Don’t know what else it could be, but if someone else has an idea, they’ll chime in.

Probably you can’t wait to get your system going. I know the feeling.

Good luck.

If it shows uncertified then it’s in the process of getting certified but as this point it’s not Roon Ready. Two scenarios here the vendor shipped with firmware that has Roon code in it before it’s had full certification awarded. Often happens or In some cases it’s Roon who are behind on triggering a server side switch that tells Roon this device is certified. Either way you’re waiting the latter is usually fixed quickly.

Thanks! Was told last night Roon had given the final blessing now for the technical work to happen in the background. In the mean time I have tried out a WiiM Pro and it is a solid little box. Next to try is the innuos PulseMini.

we have verification and Roon Ready for the Moon 791