More streaming services after the acquisition?

Roon folk:

The message that you’ll be focussing on offline libraries makes me nervous that you’re planning to drop streaming support, or anticipating challenges with streaming platforms now that you have been acquired.

Can you give any more context to this statement?

I’m considering a lifetime sub, but streaming integration is a major part of my decision as my HQ offline library is relatively small.

It shouldn’t make you nervous. Roon has been live since 2015 and launched with Tidal. Since then they have added two additional services Qobuz and KKBOX.

As a user who has been here since 2015, many of the updates in those years til now, were focused on users, like you, who use streaming services.

Local library users have been feeling abandoned for over half a decade. This message was focused for those users, that Roon has not forgotten them as well.

There is always challenges trying to add a new streaming source. As I mentioned earlier, only 2 have been added since launch. The issue with adding new services is that it requires the other side to agree and do work, since it is much more than simply using an API.

Now that Harmon is in the discussion, I am also guessing that getting another service added is more likely given their weight might help tip a previous “No” to a “Yes”.

1 Like