Most disappointing Speakers in the market - KEF LSX

I use the KEF Control Android app without issue. The KEF Stream Android App is awful and the gap between songs could be shorter. Never have an issue using Roon running the speakers (playing Tidal and local music files for NAS). Using Airplay 2 using Roon for grouping a number of speakers including the LSX around the house works a treat.

The sound is great from the LSX in my opinion for such small speakers but the KEF Stream app is a joke. KEF should be embarrassed.

Thankfully, I don’t use the speakers for streaming. I only use it for desktop connected with optical. I feel your pain though.

I have LSX, good sound, poor apps. Gapless playback of TIDAL does not work with KEF Stream.
My solution…. Make LSX a slave to Bluesound NODE 2i with optical. Works fine :-p

I use them with Spotify, use them with Airplay, use them with Roon.

They sleep and wake up automatically. Use the app once for config and to set up DSP. Then forget about it. It’s not even on my Phone anymore.

3 Likes

Took your advice and deleted the KEF Stream app from my phone. Only ever use Roon.

As a follow-up: KEF supposedly fixed my speakers but yet again I get the crackle back. Slightly infuriating and won’t ever bother with anything in the KEF line again

1 Like

I have had my LSX (white) for a year now and absolutely love them. I mostly use Roon.

I also have them hooked up to my “second” TV via optical. Gives a wonderful TV sound too. Very rich stereo image.

My LSX are an ideal bedroom speaker set. Like nobo, I feed 'em via a Bluesound NODE. Yeah, the KEF apps leaves much to be desired, so avoid 'em.

1 Like

In defence of KEF I bought s/h a pair of original LS50W.

They developed a distortion in one speaker and out of warranty period and from a dealer who originally sold them (HiFi Hut in Dublin) but not to me - they were fixed FOC are are now my son’s main system.

From this experience I would be much more predisposed to KEF than I might have been previously.

.sjb

1 Like

I am very happy with LSXs too.

Mk II are released this month and could be an expensive temptation for an upgrade.

I loved the LSX but kept droping from the connection and had to restart them way to often (even more than my bose soundtouch :slight_smile: ) Sooooo, I ended up with the LS50 META and the rest of HW to my liking. I would have loved to keep the LSX but I was so frustrated and not keen of using a legacy app that KEF had already swapped for a new (/better) app. You couldn’t get amazon music while on the new app you could so I just gave up. :frowning:

Mine had its firmware updated to version 5.2 today. Have not a clue what has changed. No release notes etc available yet!

I have the LSX’'s and the LSXII’s. They are great speakers and both work well as Roon endpoints. I use them as audio out for my TV. I bought the LSX II’s specifically because of the HDMI input so that I could take advantage of the eARC/CEC output of my Sony Bravia 55x900H TV. Unfortunately I just get a brief burst of audio output and then nothing when using HDMI. I know that CEC works because the TV remote seems to work with the HDMI input however I just see the volume display changing with no audio output.

I tried all of the know fixes but eventually found out from KEF Support that this is a known issue. Sony is one of the largest TV manufacturers so this seems pretty odd that they would not have this nailed down.

Optical works fine but then I need to use more remotes and the non-technical family member in our household is not happy :worried:

Getting KEF LSX speakers working wirelessly

I would like to share my experience using KEF LSX speakers with Roon.

I hope this will help others who wish to use these speakers with Roon.

In the Beginning.

I am fortunate that most of the rooms in my house are hard wired ethernet, so connecting networked audio is easy and high performance.

I run Roon on a dedicated linux server with plenty of headroom.

I bought the KEF LSX just over two years ago and these were attached to my network by Ethernet cable.

They worked superbly and sounded great.

KEF LSX speakers are easy to set up and use with an ethernet network cable and work with Roon very well.

The LSX speakers are NOT Roon-Ready but Roon Tested - the newer KEF LSX II are Roon Ready but I do not have these so cannot comment.

Then I moved the Speakers…

…to a room with no cabled ethernet !

I thought I would use WiFi to connect the KEFs.

My network is UniFi Managed with three UniFi AC Pro WiFi Access Points which are all hard wired to the network switches.

The network works very well …

…so I moved the speakers and attempted to connect them wirelessly - then all hell broke loose…

• Unable to join the WiFi network - ping fails to the speakers

• Eventually connect to WiFi then dropping out - ping works but the web API very slow to respond

• The speakers always connected to the most distant and weakest signal Access Point - then gave intermittent connection

• …repeated all of the above…

Roon remained working with all the wired devices - but only occasionally with the WiFi connected KEF LSX.

The Solution

After considerable assessment using the UniFi network tools I finally got the KEF LSX to work properly with Roon.

The problems were Wifi issues to the KEF speakers - not Roon.

I have now achieved solid WiFi connection from UniFi Access Points to the KEF LSX as follows…

I found that KEF LSX wireless speakers…

• …don’t like to connect to the 2.4Ghz WiFi band.

• …don’t like to channel hop across WiFi bands.

• …don’t like to hop between Access Points.

• …don’t like meshed Access Points.

• …don’t like to connect to channels above 46.

So I have set up the UniFi AC Pro’s and the KEF LSX’s like this…

• …The KEF LSX are locked to the 5Ghz band only.

• …The KEF LSX are locked to channel 44 only.

• …The KEF LSX are prevented from roaming between Access Points - they are locked to one Access Point only.

• …I have created a new dedicated WiFi Network for the KEF LSXs and bound them to this using the MAC address and blocked all other MAC addresses.

• …I have prevented the UniFi AC PROs from Optimising Automatically.

I now have solid connectivity to the speakers and Roon works perfectly.

I realise that some of the options above may not be available/relevant if you don’t have a UniFi Network.

But I hope that this may still help others should they run into problems using the KEF LSX speakers.

JJ

7 Likes