Moving files from SSD to Nucleus internal drive

Roon Nucleus 2.0; iMac 13.2.1

I want to move my music library, which is currently on an external SSD, onto the hard drive that was included with my newly-purchased Nucleus. I can’t drag-and-drop from my computer, because my computer does not have enough storage for my 40-year collection of newly-digitized recordings. I have tried moving the music files to online-only in Dropbox, then dragging-and-dropping from there. But I get a confusing message about lots of duplicates–enough duplicates to make me think the Nucleus has copied at least some of my files already. If I unplug the external drive, I see the warning in this screen shot:

And even if I unplug the external drive, I seem to have access to at least one album I have not played before. The user-manual pages on “storage” do not address how to move files from an external drive to Nucleus internal storage–or at least not in language that I understand.

Begging your pardon, please bear in mind that I am not an engineer. Nor am I familiar with the acronyms of contemporary high-tech audiophilia. My audiophile creds are, however, quite legit. I am not a computer illiterate. But getting this new system up & running is proving far far more difficult than what is claimed by Roon’s plug-and-play marketing to those of us migrating from high-end legacy systems.

Thank you for whatever help you can provide.

Attach the external SSD to your computer. Connect the internal drive of the Nucleus over the network to your computer as well, as in the link below. Then drag and drop the files in your computer’s file manager (Finder on macOS, File Explorer on Windows) from the attached SSD to the Nucleus’s hard drive. You don’t need any additional space on your computer for this.

Importing Music to Internal Storage - SMB Connection (Alternate Option)

Be aware that this requires that you have a second drive in the Nucleus.

After you access the Nucleus’s internal drive over the network, you will see everything that is on that drive, if anything. I would simply delete everything and start again as explained above.

In general, take note of the migration guide:

THIS.

Use SMB protocol to copy files from the USB on a different computer. That entails just doing drag and drop. It is an extremely stable transfer mechanism and is even recommended by roonlabs (somewhere, I forget where). I used this to transfer all the music from a BluOS Vault to a ROCK. Works perfectly. The USB can be plugged into the ROCK / Roon Core to use as a locally generated backup image.

I have an elderly laptop with old slow WiFi. Drag and drop is a laborious process. I use an app called FE Pro (Android or iPad). It costs £5 or so but I can copy to an internal drive from a USB drive on Roon OS and I can also move files to the NAS I use as a backup.
Make sure the USB drive is disabled as a music drive in Roon.

There are free tools built in both MacOS (rsync) and Windows (robocopy) that does this in a perfect manner.
All it takes is a bit of reading up.

My issue as stated above was the age of my laptop. Literally 10-12 hours to transfer 500gb. Longer if I and doing things like streaming TV.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.